Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evidentially a small lizard got into the breaker box and fried the entire box (as well as himself). So now our airconditioner is broke. ...And we live in Arkansas. ...The capital of humidity! ...sigh... I am soooooooo miserable! (I grew up in much colder climates and still prefer colder climates.) Right now it's 10:25 pm and the temperature inside the house is 90 degrees. Late in the evening and at night it's cooler outside. I can't open windows though due to a high volume of mosquitoes. >.< The repairman said it'd probably be Monday when he can fix the air conditioner.

Out of all of us, the dogs are actually handing this the best. They're all spread out on our concrete floors. Except for a really small stretch of the day, no one has been panting. My cats are not handling it as well as the dogs and one of my ferrets has me worried. :( Tried to find someone to take the ferrets to their house but I haven't found anyone willing yet. One of my cats, Tarista, keeps herself in the dog crate that has a metal pan bottom, I guess it's a tad bit cooler. At one point Tarista AND Emeral were both in that crate, lol.

We have 2 oscilating fans and a cieling fan constantly running. The water-er for the dogs and cats holds 2.5 gallons of water. It has a wide mouth on it so I was wondering if I could freeze some blocks of ice and then put the ice blocks inside the water reserve. (Icecubes, in our glasses of water, melt within minutes.) I didn't read it but I just saw something in a comment on a Facebook post about it being dangerous to give dogs icecubes - not for a choking hazzard - but for some other reason. Not just icecubes but any treat frozen in blocks of ice. Really wish I had read that now. :/

NONE of the dogs NOR cats understand why I don't want to have any cuddle time. o_O Although I, mostly, still allow cuddles. Well, thanks for listening to my over-heated cries. I'll now continue to survive in my own personal sunua. -__-

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
You don't have window screens?

Ice is fine to eat or lick at. I guess it could possibly crack a tooth for a dog with weak teeth or choke a very inept eater, but that's pretty extreme.

I would go buy a few bags of ice and set out bowls of it in front of each fan. When the ice melts, the dogs can drink the cold water.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ice cubes melt too fast and having their pool inside would be EXTREMELY messy! Thought I read on df that frozen meat wasn't the best idea. They have pleanty of water. I can picture that being all together, LOL!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most of our windows do not have screens. The screens we do have are a bit tattered, not badly but the mosquitoes know exactly where to go to get in.

Yeah, like I said, the dogs are handling it the best (better than the humans too). Thy don't care for it but their mostly doing alright. It's mainly the cats and ferrets I'm more concerned for.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Fill water bottles with plain ol' tap water, freeze and allow the critters to use them to snuggle.

Our AC died when Buster was just a little guy. So I used a trick I picked up as teen caring for outside (pet) bunnies in California and froze some 2 liters for him. Being a puppy he preferred to lick or chew them, so supervision is a must until you know they wont injure themselves with the bottles.

As long as no one has issues being wet (I cant do this anymore due to Bus getting skin infections from it), a good soaking with the hose or in the tub can help.

·
Registered
891 Posts
You can also periodically dampen a wash cloth with cold water. Ring it out and rub the pets down with it. That's an instant cool down I used to do with my cats when we lived in a hot climate.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Could you get one of those fans that fits in the window with extendable panels on the sides?
I live in mild southern California and would be really uncomfortable without these fans. There is one in every bedroom and they run from about 5pm to whenever it starts heating up again next morning if it doesn't cool down much at night. Then we close up the house and use floor fans to keep the air moving. If I move away from my fan I am instantly all sweaty. I had better not move to Arkansas, 60% humidity and 85*F and I complain non stop! Dogs don't sweat so not sure why Max likes the fan but he is behind my chair when the fan is on.

What about getting some sort of thin fabric to staple over the windows without screens or making new ones? Or just staple and even tape screen over the darn windows?

We took Sassy on a 3 week camping trip up to Yellowstone, ending up going through 113*F Las Vegas at dusk. Sassy stayed in the camper with the vent fan on laying on wet towels and was just fine. I was concerned and took her out to some grass in shade and she was much less comfortable than she had been in the camper. So put down wet towels too if your flooring allows it.

I think the issue with frozen stuff is it is really hard. There wouldn't be a problem with large blocks or those frozen bottles, the animals would be licking rather than crunching.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
The dogs and cats should be OK if you are. They're adaptable. The ferrets though. . .keep trying to find someone with AC who can take them for the weekend. Or just freeze a bunch of water bottles and keep a few in their cage all the time, with a fan pointed at the cage. They just don't handle heat well at all.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Assuming you do have electricity in the house - a window AC unit and/or some fans. Put a window unit AC into a room with a door to close, turn it on and cool down. When I lived in an apartment we only had our bedroom with AC and when it was too hot and humid to be in the rest of the apartment - my wife, myself and our Beagle would just retreat into the bedroom. It was AWEFUL to come out of that room but it was nice going back in.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My air conditioner had been fixed (was fixed last Tuesday). YAY!!! Willowy I did finally find someone who would take the ferrets to their house. Although, the night right before the transport Meeka gave me a really bad scare! I think I almost lost her. :( For being caged animals, it sure is hard to find anyone willing to take the ferrets. I had one person tell me he could take them but he would have to keep them in his garage. That's ... kinda defeating the purpose buddy. I do have a friend who would always take the ferrets if need be but she just happened to be out of town. That's my kinda luck, haha.

I did keep a regular ongoing supply of frozen water bottles for the dogs, cats, and ferrets. One of the times I had the freezer open to change out the bottles, Toehuntai literally tried to climb into the freezer, lol. He in particular, appreciated the AC getting fixed.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I was going to say make a fridge tent (a la Simpsons) but it looks like you got it covered!

(seriously though, don't try it)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.