Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum, so first let me give you some background info: My girlfriend and I adopted a 6/7 month old puppy; Billy Bones. We think he´s some kind of boxer / britanny spaniel or english pointer mix, but we don´t know for sure. He´s been with us for nearly two weeks now. We live in Madrid, a big city with lots of noise, kids, traffic, and other dogs. We´re lucky to have decent work hours so Billy isn´t home alone for more than 6 hours on end and gets to go for a walk at least 3 times a day.

Billy is my first dog and he´s already taught me one big lesson: I know nothing about training a dog! He learned to relieve himself outsideHe was getting ready to pee on the carpet, I told him no, and showed him the alternative; our terrace. He learned to wait patiently and then follow as mommy and daddy walk out the door, into the elevator, or up the stairs. He´s rewarded every time he does it well. And then comes the walk, listening to his name, and playing...

During his walks everything is more interesting than we are. He stops and sniffs everything (fire hydrants, cars, people, EVERYTHING). He pulls a lot, too. I´ve tried everything from rewarding him when he´s by my side, to stopping dead in my tracks when he´s pulling and rewarding him when he comes back, but he doesn´t quite seem to see that he´s being rewarded for staying close to me and keeping the leash loose. The last two days it´s gotten so frustrating I´ve resorted to just keep walking when he wants to stop and sniff, and jerking the leash. I regret doing that...but sometimes it´s so hard to get him to come with me when he keeps pulling, jumping around and not settling down by my side.

When he sees other dogs he goes ballistic. Pulling, jumping, backflips, everything to get away from his leash and to the other dog. He doesn´t greet people nor dogs in a calm way either. He jumps on them, throw´s punches, runs, and rolls. When they keep walking on it´s impossible to get him to come along. I literally have to drag him with me or pick him up. If I don´t, he´ll sit there forever just staring in the direction the dog went.

Should I not go on walks with him until he responds to his name and I know how to get his attention? We have a large terrace where we can play with him and give him his excercise. Or should I just keep walking and trying? This week we´re going to call in a dog trainer that can teach us how to teach Billy so maybe we can catch his interest. Now all he seems to care about is other people, food, and doing whatever he wants.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Calling in the dog trainer is an EXCELLENT idea! Are there training classes you can join? It sounds like this pup missed out on socialization at a younger age and is therefore reacting improperly when another dog is around. Don't stop walking - he obviously needs a lot more exercise. Your trainer should be a big help in that area.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts