Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 weeks old springer spaniel puppy is very agressive and bite everyone so hard it starts to bleed. he is friendly and like to snuggle up to people when he is sleepy. But when he is awake he launch up to peoples faces and bite them, when youre walking inside or outside he goes for the legs and feet, as soon as he gets a chance he bites people and completely ignore his toys. I've tried everything, offer a toy instead and reward, shake a can with pennys when he bites someone, 5 mins timeout if he doesnt listen to a no. its very hard to potty train him as well some times he actually goes to the puppy pads and pee and get well rewarded for it, but most of the time when im standing beside him he walks off the pads and i put him back on and so on, he starts to bite my legs, feet, hands and arms when i keep putting him on the pads, i know he needs to go since he just had dinner, played or slept. i give up and wait 10 mins till i try again and so on, but most of the time he just runs of the pad and run straight into another room and does his business.

I am really sad and i love him so much, wish he would stop biting, my whole arms, legs and feets are covered in bloody bite marks..

And i have had dogs before and non of my other dogs have been like this, my other dogs have been boxers, so first time springer spaniel, someone else in my family have a cockerspaniel though.

I just hope someone can give me any tips or advice how to calm him down and play more safe and not bite me and other people all the time.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
What age was he when you got him? Is there any way the breeder can take him back for a week to do some work with him and socialize him with other dogs and work on his manners a bit?

Reason I ask how old, is because usually as puppies get to 6-8 weeks, they learn that if they bite their littermates, or mom, they'll get told off. Those lessons are important, because it teaches them not to be so mouthy and bite as much. If you got the pup at an early age, or he didn't have that lesson for whatever reason, it can be more of a challenge.

One trick that works well is to get some bitter apple, and apply that to your arms/legs before you deal with him. He'll learn quickly that you taste horrid and be less tempted to use his mouth. Also get him some GOOD chew toys - real bones, so he has something to mouth and chew. Use those in his crate to keep him amused and tire his mouth out a bit. When he does come to you, give him a squeaky stuffed toy and praise him when he's got that in his mouth, rewarding him for being good. EVERY time he starts to turn into a gater, stand up and ignore him, walk away, don't pay any attention to him. Pick up his toy after a few seconds and toss it for him and then 'oh there's that good puppy with the toy in his mouth!' - he'll start to seek out a toy to get attention from you.

For housebreaking skip the pads. Take him outside, on leash, and stand in the same spot each time you want him to go. Ignore him till he's done, then praise and back into the house. A small pen sometimes works well too, if you can get some rebar and chicken wire and make a 10x10 foot (or so) area to put him in. Put him in, stand and wait. When he's done, he can come back into the house. If you must use the pads do the same thing, block off an area somehow, put him in, wait, then he can come out when he's done. That way there's no battle about potty time and where it is.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Have you read the sticky "The Bite Stops Here"? This is an excellent method and works with many puppies.
- Basically, when the puppy bites, you say ouch or yelp loudly. (Now, high pitched noises sometimes make some puppies more excited, so you might have to experiment, but the noise should interrupt the biting and get his attention.)
- Offer a toy, keep playing. He will probably go right back to biting. Make the yelp/noise/ouch again. This time, leave the room for 20-30 seconds. If you're gone longer than that, he'll forget why you left, and find something else to do.
- Come back, and play again, or go about your business. If he bites, start the whole process over, first the noise, then the noise and leaving the area.

This teaches him biting means human contact ends. Puppies are social and don't want to lose that contact so it usually sinks in. BUT, it takes lots of repetition and consistency. Everyone in the household has to do the exact thing every single time he bites, otherwise he'll think there's a possibility of getting away with it.
At our house, it took awhile, about 4 weeks, for Harper to stop. BUT, my fiance wasn't on board with this method in the beginning because leaving the room every few minutes cut into his TV watching time ( :) ). But, when he got onboard, it really helped!

Bitter Apple spray sometimes works, but some pups actually like the taste! :) And, if you forget you've put it on you, and touch your mouth, EWWWW, it does taste bad!

Always praise him when he's chewing something appropriate. :)
And, I agree, if you got him before 8 weeks, he's probably missed out on learning some things from mama and siblings. Oh, and, as rough as his biting is, he's not being aggressive. Puppies play with their mouthes, and it sounds like he's pretty rough, but it's not out of aggression...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.