Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I enjoyed reading that. I recently had that "second day" with my Aussie. She's 9 1/2 and has always been a pistol for nail trims. But not this last time. I asked for her paw, she gave it, and didn't flinch at all as I trimmed each nail. At first I was proud of myself... I thought that all the hard work introducing her to the nail trimmers and touching her feet had finally paid off. Then I realized that it wasn't because of all that... it's just the first of many battles she has decided isn't worth it any more.
The description of that "second day" is the perfect definition of how I feel with her now.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same here, I love reading it & I always shed a tear, I to have experienced that "second day" wih my Izze, she sleeps more & is now on cosequin :(.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Darn you, dogdragoness, you just made me weep. Buckets. What a sad ode and I'm still sniffing and tearful. I should know better than to come to this section of the forums. My beloved dog is six and she's got some good years yet but I know there will come a time ...

A dear friend recently lost a much-loved cat due to age and illness. I'm still feeling his pain. How I wish our treasured dogs and cats could live as long as the fabled tortoises of the Galapagos. But then, if they outlived us, their pain at our loss might be equal to our pain at theirs. I'm thinking of "Hachi"; the dog who mourned his owner and waited futilely at the train station in Japan for his owner - who was never coming back.

How I wish dogs, like their owners had seventy years or so life-spans ...

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know, I love it tho & had to share it for those many who have also lost or are experiencing living with an aging pet.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I enjoyed reading that.

I experienced what I thought was that second day about two years ago. She slipped on wet grass chasing a cat and dislocated her hip, her back food was literally behind her and limp when she sat down but it popped back in within five minutes after I carried her to the house. She wasn't as active and she was limping quite a bit a few days later so we took her to the vet where she was diagnosed with a spinal injury because the limping and pain was equal on both sides and it was sore when he pressed on it. She was put on ten days of anti inflammatory with the very real possibility that if she wasn't better then I would make the decision to put her down. She was always an active dog and we are still waiting for that day she passes on chasing a cat, it was always her favorite thing to do.

And yes, I cried when I thought I would have to have her PTS, in front of the vet and everything, I did my very best not to cry when I brought her in because I knew it wasn't going to be good, and when he told me it wasn't going to be "fixable" (my words) only in the best situation "manageable."

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also first experienced the second day when I was playing with Izze & she missed the ball trying to catch it & then couldn't find it, like she couldn't see it :(. I know PRA is very dominant in ACDs & she is only a $100 dog (at the time I didn't know any better but she has been such a good friend I'm almost glad I didn't).

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
This was wonderful, yet so sad to think about it. I got all teary eyed too ... and I began wondering to myself about having to go through this four times as I have four dogs now ... I also wish they had longer life spans just like us humans. :( But thank you for posting. :) I liked it.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I felt phase two with Charlotte along time ago. But while there has definitely been a sadness with that realization, there has also been a sort of happiness to know that she's made it to old age. There's no telling what her fate would have been had my husband not decided to take her in when he found her as a beat up, emaciated street dog all those years ago. There are a lot of dogs in this world just like her that don't make it past 3. Now rather then dying cold and alone of starvation, the elements, traffic, poison, other animals, or in a shelter, she's going to die warm, safe, well fed, and very much loved by all of us at an old age. It breaks my heart to think of that day, but what better gift can you give someone?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts