Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm getting Saoirse ready for her 1st agility comp (hopefully)....what do you all recommend for the 1st time or 2, standards or jumpers/weaves....both for the handler and the dog (1st time for both of us)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I've never been in a competition but from the ones I've watched locally, my choice for first competition will probably be Standard, simply because you have the added advantage of giving your dog voice commands to tell them which obstacle to take.. 'tunnel' 'frame' 'tire' etc.. can't do that in Jumpers if they're almost all jumps :D

If possible, can you do both? Maybe your dog is different from mine and is better at reading your body positioning and directional commands..

Just my (admittedly novice) opinion.. good luck, though, and I want to see TONS of pictures!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well, it depends... JWW is easier obstacle-wise, but handling wise it's a different story. If Saoirse performs all of the obstacles confidently and with speed, I'd definitely go for both Standard and JWW. (Angel and I haven't q'ed yet in JWW -due to my handling mistakes... but we have 2 Q's in Standard). Personally, I'd do both if Saoirse knows all of the obstacles...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I haven't been in any competitions yet myself, but I really don't think it matters what you do first. But what I do recommend is to just have fun the first couple times. Don't go in expecting a good performance, as you or your dog could make some mistakes. Just have fun with it and learn. I was told this by my Rally trainer, if you go in expecting to win, you will more than likely get disappointed. Just go in and have fun, and if you take first place, great. If you don't, great. And most of all, don't be nervous, as you know it's your first time. Just have fun and get the experience, then you will know what it's like and you can then look at the areas you or your dog might need to work on.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lonewolf, i don't care about winning at all...i don't care how many times we get out there for it...i just want to have fun w/ it....

it won't be till Aug that we do this and first i have to get her ILP # back....any idea how long those take? i sent for it last wk.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am like some of the others. I am not yet in the competition level. LOL Hopefully one day we will be. I have spoken with and actually have classes with experienced handlers I play 20 questions them all the time and they all say the same thing, GO HAVE FUN and ENJOY. They have such a good point. :) Personally I would say if you feel comfortable enough - go for both classes. That is just more experience for you and your dog. To me that can only help in the long run. But, that is just my opinion. :)

I sent off for Voodoo's PAL/ILP number a couple weeks ago and received an email from them yesterday saying her certificate would be going in the mail sometime next week. I would say you should hear something on yours soon.

Good Luck and keep us posted on how everything goes.

Voodoo and I start level 2 this week. We went to agility practice today and it was the best we have done. I was sooo excited. :) I hope to go to a "show-n-go" play agility thing the end of June.

*Keep your fingers crossed for us* LOL

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
The first time I entered Susie in competition in Sept./08 I just went in Jumpers as that was recommended to me to start her in. In Nov. after watching the other classes in Sept. I entered her in Jumpers, Snooker and Gamblers and she did great in all of them, no Q's but only minor faults, mostly mine. If your dog knows the Obstacles, it is more fun to compete than to just watch the others and wonder how you would have done. Susie is not exceptionally fast but she is very steady and wags her tail the whole time, I am usually the one who makes the mistakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts