Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I would love some tips and exercises to pratice with my 8 month old mini poodle puppy.

Some info on Jasper (my puppy) and me:

I am 17, and have lyme disease. I have been trying to get better for 3 years. I've tried multiple IV's a day for 3 months, oral antibiotics, herbs shots. It helped for a while but now nothing is. I'm switching doctors, so am currently no on any meds. Basically, I don't have much energy, and lots of time since I can no longer do school.

I don't have too much experience actually training dogs other than our 6 year old standard poodle, but I have been riding horses for 10 years, and have been teaching, training, starting them. I often find that much of the theory of training horses applies to dogs. After I had to leave school, my parents agreed to let me get a puppy, which brings our total number of dogs up to 3!

My puppy and I have attended training classes at the local humane society, and are now at level 3, working on sit, down, come, touch, leave it, heel, wait, with more distractions and longer durations, as well as off leash. After this level, we will be able to take their agility class, which is on a big unenclosed field.

I have started introducing him on the different obstacles, and currently have an 18 foot tunnel, weave poles, 2 jumps, and am looking to get more. Any suggestions on what to get next/more of would be great!

He really loves the tunnel, and went in when I was setting it up. He hangs out in it all the time. lol

Basically, I would like to know some good exercises, or any tips you have. I have watched lots and lots of videos and read books, but don't have much real life experience with agility.

Also if you know of any good websites, books, DVDs, etc. I would appreciate that

-Draba

P.S. Sorry for the really long post.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Hi and welcome. Sorry to hear about your health problems. Wishing you more good days than bad. Here is a great web site with information on agility.
http://www.cleanrun.com/
No jumping for small breed puppies until at least a year old (growth plates have to close. At least 18 months for large breed dogs.) Your essentials are what you are doing right now focus, sit, down, here or come to side etc. Work from both the right and left side of your pup. Welcome to the wonderful world of agility. There a lot of forum members at this site that have the "bug."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I will definitely continue with the obedience training. That is another area in which I hope to compete, although my main focus will be agility.

And I have ordered a few DVD's from cleanrun.com, and and am planning on getting a subscription. I'm going to continue to look around the website.

-Draba

1 - 4 of 4 Posts