Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got me and my dog back into Agility. Now my dog is a Shep/Husky, 3 years old, female spayed and in pretty good condition. Vet suggested she lose about 4-5 pounds and with daily good runs and lots of ball playing I can see the difference. Taking her to get weighed so I can see how we're doing. Now she gets to run on alot of hills and usually I throw the ball in such a way that she gets lots of exercise running up and down those hills :) She's never shown any signs of lameness or soreness in any joints but it's something I think of because of her breed mix and I don't know anything about her parents and whether or not they had any problems with hips etc?

I don't want to get really involved in Agility and have her start having problems later on. So, I don't know what's really involved in getting her hips checked out and would it be worth it for the cost involved. Also, do you have to go to a certain type of vet or can any vet do it. It isn't for breeding or anything, mostly for my peace of mind. I'd say she's got really good muscle tone in her back legs, when she's standing you can see the muscle definition. From what I've heard/read that helps if they may be prone to hip dysplasia.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
A vet can rotate the hips for you to feel for any slippage just ask them on your next visit. but the only way to make sure she doesn't have hip dysplatia at all is by getting her hips x-rayed which can cost between $100 and $200 depending on where you go. For a pet non breeding dog I wouldn't spend the extra money with OFA certification. just a simple x-ray will do and you can look at it with your vet.

by the simple "vet check" hip rotation method you will only be able to see if she has more advanced hip dysplatia, it wont help for less sever dysplatia.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will do that when she goes in for her heartworm and flea meds :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Pattymac,

We are doing the same kind of thing with our dog. We don't want to get all excited about agility and have her go lame in her hips, so we spoke to our vet about this.

As long as the dog is 2 years or older, there are two options for evaluating hips in Ontario (I live in Ottawa).

One is to have the vet take the rads, and send them to OFA for an assessment. Our vet quoted us at about $400.

The second option is to get the same rads and have them sent to Guelph, to the veterinary school there. They also assess hip/elbow rads, and the cost is $60. Mind you, they only rate the hips as a pass, or I think it was 3 or 4 different levels of fail, while OFA grades with different levels of Pass. Check out the OFA and Guelph websites for more info.

So, we have decided to do the Guelph option. If our dog fails this test, we have a breeder guarantee so we would then get the OFA done... but I cannot see Libby having any problems.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Squeeker, thanks very much! I will do that if I decide to get x-rays done and my vet isn't sure. for Bayley since it's not for breeding just to make sure she'd be ok doing agility, the $60. sounds like a great deal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts