Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who do agility and have an XXL dog do you have your dog go through the standard sized tunnel, or do you skip the tunnel, or have a larger sized one? If you have a larger tunnel where did you get it?
I've never had this problem before but one of my current crew is an over-sized GSD and for him to get through the tunnel he has to practically crawl on his belly.
Thanks, in advance, for any help/advice here! :D

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, TooneyDogs, I'm aware that the regulation tunnel is 24". I was just wondering if there were any larger for the XXL dog. This isn't for competition training but strictly for home use and fun.

Lonewolfblue, my big guy is all hunkered down practically on his belly. He does fine too but it looks sooooo uncomfortable to me. I guess I always worry about any extra stress on his hips/bones. With him being such an oversized GSD (31"/135lbs) I'm always worried about the dreaded hip dysplasia rearing its' ugly head especially now that he's getting older.

Thanks for your replies.

Jihad

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you don't plan on competing, and are worried about the extra stress on his joints (which I think is very reasonable and responsible, agility can be tough on a dogs bones) then why not special order a tunnel or build one yourself?

If you were planning on competing, I would tell you to stick to standard size as the size of your practice equipment should be regulation size so the dog doesn't have any slip ups or refusals on the course due to not being use to that size of equipment...

The first tunnel I had I built using a tarp, some zip ties, and some rubber tubing. It fell apart fairly quickly, but I'm sure if you looked around and tried it out yourself you might be able to make one sturdier than mine :p My second tunnel (the one I still have) was ordered and is regulation size. If you plan on ordering rather than building, ask about having one special made that is bigger. I'm not sure if places that make equipment CAN do that or are willing to, but I think it would be worth looking into.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have seen a Great Dane go through our tunnels at trials......and he does it! If that says anything....Hope it helps.....:)

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Yes, TooneyDogs, I'm aware that the regulation tunnel is 24". I was just wondering if there were any larger for the XXL dog. This isn't for competition training but strictly for home use and fun.
24" is the largest air handling duct that I'm aware of. You might be able to find something larger made for either the mining industry or the defense industry. I suspect they would be very expensive though.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys for your advice here. It's much appreciated.
I don't plan to use Yansa for agility trials. He is just too big and not all that graceful or quick. :p I have others for that (my Golden/BC and my ACD). ;)
I wouldn't ever use anything off regs for a dog I wanted to to use for competition. I think that's just setting a dog up for failure.
Anyway, I'm off to different places this weekend to see what I can find for a do-it-myself project. (making mental note not to use tarp and zip ties)Ya know what's really bad, and shows signs of desperation, is that I pass lots of construction sites and often see the cement culverts that are perfect in diameter and catch myself wondering if I could get one of those home. lol

Jihad

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
You can build a tunnel out of pvc pipe. It won't be round (square instead). Kind of like the hoops here stake and cover with fabric. Gives you the look of the tunnel but you can make the height and width any size that you want. Therhttp://members.peak.org/~helix/Agility/
There was a web site that had one like this posted with instructions but, I cannot locate it at this time.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
agility collie mom, thank you so much for that suggestion. It actually gave me a great idea - I can make a semi-circle tunnel w/pvc and a tarp. I've seen several gardens with a pvc/tarp roof where the pvc, being flexible, is bent into a semi-circle over the veggies/herbs. I can also add twists/turns to it as well as a 'collapsed' section! :D
It's not an ideal tunnel but we're just looking to have fun at home so it's a workable idea.

DogGoneGood, tarp and zip ties may just work afterall. ;)

Jihad

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Sounds like a great plan. It could double in the summer for shade!!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
agility collie mom, thank you so much for that suggestion. It actually gave me a great idea - I can make a semi-circle tunnel w/pvc and a tarp. I've seen several gardens with a pvc/tarp roof where the pvc, being flexible, is bent into a semi-circle over the veggies/herbs. I can also add twists/turns to it as well as a 'collapsed' section! :D
It's not an ideal tunnel but we're just looking to have fun at home so it's a workable idea.

DogGoneGood, tarp and zip ties may just work afterall. ;)

Jihad
Hahaha, I think if you have the right design and equipment it can work out just fine ;) Mine just didn't seem to hold up but I don't think it was the right design or equipment! Although the bought tunnel I have has two big holes in it now because it rolled into Linkin's tie out section one day and he chewed it up :rolleyes: So sand bags or milk jugs filled with water or sand is a good idea to keep your tunnel in one spot - I learned this lesson the hard way! lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts