Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the other day I took Callie to the park to work on some training, but it pretty much failed. I couldn't for the life of me get her to stay focussed: nothing worked. She ignored treats, praise: the whole sha-bang. I basically just gave up. (there wasn't anyone else there, so people nor animals were a distraction. she just wasn't interested.)

Can someone tell me how to motivate a dog that doesn't care about treats (unless she's starved :rolleyes:), praise, or any type of toy? I'm desperate...:eek:

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Perhaps it's not a problem of motivation; it's a problem of focus. You need to train her to start focusing in different settings and scenarios. Does she know "watch me"? Does she know her name? These are all attention exercises, so working on them will help.

Also, just because the park was empty doesn't mean it wasn't distracting. There were still tons and tons of smells, sights and sounds that she could perceive and you couldn't. How many different places have you trained besides your home? I would first try training in a place that had only slightly more distractions than inside your house; maybe your yard. If she's fine in your yard, move to somewhere close to your house, somewhere that you pass regularly on your daily walks. Slowly increase distractions that way.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps it's not a problem of motivation; it's a problem of focus. You need to train her to start focusing in different settings and scenarios. Does she know "watch me"? Does she know her name? These are all attention exercises, so working on them will help.

Also, just because the park was empty doesn't mean it wasn't distracting. There were still tons and tons of smells, sights and sounds that she could perceive and you couldn't. How many different places have you trained besides your home? I would first try training in a place that had only slightly more distractions than inside your house; maybe your yard. If she's fine in your yard, move to somewhere close to your house, somewhere that you pass regularly on your daily walks. Slowly increase distractions that way.
The only bit of training I've ever done with her has been in the yard. And yes, she knows her name. Man... I just wish that you could kinda... "program" dogs to do exactly what you want :rolleyes:. Maybe I should just wait work on this after I graduate: I've no time, or a ny pressing reason, to really train her at all. We live in the middle of the countryside, and she's pretty much a farm dog (the 'rents don't like dogs in the house.)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I really encourage you to try and further her training a little more. I don't think she'll be a bad dog if she's untrained, but I do think you'll find training to be a very rewarding experience. It starts off frustrating but once you and your dog get the hang of it, it's very destressing. During any major exams I have, I take at least an hour off a day to walk my dogs and about half an hour throughout the day to train them. It becomes quite calming because it's something that you know you have to do every day besides work or study. Kind of like an enforced study break.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I graduate HS in... 15 days, so I'll hold off. Its hard going to school, then working afterwards til about 11 at night... I barely have time to sleep. :(

I kinda think that she ignores me also because I usually pick ticks off of her. lol

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm just throwing this out there because it worked for me. Sardines, yes yucky, stinky sardines got my Sophie's attention when she was completely unfocused outside.

I ended up beind stupid and not thinking about bringing hand cleanser with me, so I stunk all the way home, with a happy attentive pup by my side.

I only give sardines in spring water (little pieces) when it's for super duper special times. We're going camping this weekend and will be bringing a couple of tins of sardines to train the pups (2 of them now) recall in the wild.... should be interesting. Hoping that these stinky fishies smell better than bunny poop this weekend.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just throwing this out there because it worked for me. Sardines, yes yucky, stinky sardines got my Sophie's attention when she was completely unfocused outside.

I ended up beind stupid and not thinking about bringing hand cleanser with me, so I stunk all the way home, with a happy attentive pup by my side.

I only give sardines in spring water (little pieces) when it's for super duper special times. We're going camping this weekend and will be bringing a couple of tins of sardines to train the pups (2 of them now) recall in the wild.... should be interesting. Hoping that these stinky fishies smell better than bunny poop this weekend.
Thanks! its definately worth a shot. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts