Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a Pekinese/Pug/Chihuahua mix named Bonnie that is 2 years old. I adopted her from a local rescue in February, so I, unfortunately, have little information about her past. In March, I attempted to do group training with a local trainer. Bonnie was so aggressive in the classes that it was distracting the other dogs. She doesn't snap at dogs but growls and becomes jumpy. She snapped at the trainer. Bonnie would do fantastic at home with me but wouldn't pay any attention to me in class. Needless to say, the group training wasn't working out.

Yesterday, I took Bonnie into my vet for a check-up and introduction, since she hasn't been to see her yet. Bonnie immediately became aggressive with staff, growling and snapping. Yet when removed from the room where I was, she was fine. In instances where I've had visitors at my house, Bonnie barks, growls and snaps. When I've had a friend or my dad come check on her while I was out of town, she's fine, no barking or growling. The vet says there seems to be some protection issues. Bonnie will even growl and bark at my cats when they are sitting near me. I live alone so I don't have other people around her often, so that may be partly my fault. Also, I will let her in the yard to do her business and instead of returning inside when I call her, she becomes defiant, and starts playing, not listening to my commands to "come".

My main question is this...is it possible for me to train her at home and be successful? So many training exercises seem to require another person, and since I live alone, I don't have one readily available at any time. Also, since she seems to have protection issues, I'd like to work with her a bit before going to a trainer again, to get her familiar with the commands before introducing another person. Can someone suggest a "come" exercise that doesn't involve having another person available?

Any suggestions, comments are welcome!

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
This sounds like classic Resource Guarding to me.. with you being the resource. I would suggest a few things:

Get hold of a certified behaviorist before she bites someone or hurts one of the cats or you.

Invoke NILIF or Nothing in Life is Free (see stickies, top of forum)

Get out and walk her on a leash for at least an hour a day. Not coming when called back in sounds like a dog that needs more exercise. Go out in the yard with her and play.. throw a ball, get her to chase it and bring it back.. PLAY with her. It is a good way to tire her and build a relationship with her. Wendy Pape has a DVD on playing with your dog that is very good. www.dogwise.com

If you need to take anything from her (toy etc.) exchange what she has for a bit of food.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
95% of all the dogs training is done at home...classes only show you how to do it when you get home.

From you description, the biggest problem sounds like Bonnie thinks it's her job to run off the cats, other people and dogs. Whether that's out of fear, 'protectiveness' or poor socialization I don't know. No matter what it is you have to teach her that it's not her job to do that. You have to run the interference...take the lead.

You take the lead by physically getting between her and the cats, people or other dogs. She doesn't get to charge ahead and make up the rules as she goes. When I say getting between her and the cats for example you don't have to insert your whole body....just a hand out in front of her face (body blocking) is sufficient to tell her STOP.

I suspect another big part of the problem is poor socialization and sincerely hope you're working on that. It takes alot of work to make up for missing the early socialization and it won't be 100% because of that.

For the Come, she must be on the leash or a long line. You give the command and reel her in if she doesn't come on her own. Always praise and/or treat for coming to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts