Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Aggressive Pappilon - Help!

763 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  PappyMom 
#1 ·
My wife and I just adopted a year and a half old Papillon on Sunday. The previous owners just didn't have enough time for the dog and we picked it up for no cost.

However the dog seems to have some aggression issues:

He growls when you approach him in his kennel, or sometimes growls for no apparent reason at our two other dogs and our cat.

I bathed him fine last night, and other than him growling at me this morning, he had a normal day.

However we took him to the groomers to get his nails clipped tonight and it took myself and the groomer about a half hour to get his nails clipped. The dog became very aggressive (I'd describe it as savage), and was biting and growling at us. The groomer went away with 3 good puncture wounds from bites.

I had to get my work gloves from the truck to minimize the chances of me losing a finger as the dog was uncontrollable. Obviously we're dealing with a previously traumatized animal.

We have a 2 year old and I'm nervous as **** with this new dog. The dog was used to being the leader of the pack in his old house (up on top of the couch, begging for food, etc). In our house he had a rude awakening as our dogs are on the floor at all times, sit in the living room while we're eating in the kitchen, leave the house on a leash after we do, etc.

Any suggestions on what to do other than taking him back to his old owner? I knew that Papillons were a little snippy, but he's like a tiny version of Cujo.

Thanks,

Steve

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.