Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has always been a lover of tennis balls, sticks, and other various toys. At home she'll bring them near me or my hand but will not just give it up. I either have to grab it from her or ignore her and she'll eventually go away. It's like a keep-away game to her.

Well, our town recently opened it's first dog park and I love it. She plays great and runs around with all the other dogs.

HOWEVER, most people who go often violate the no toys rule and bring in all kinds of tennis balls, ropes, footballs, ect.

Once Maddie gets ahold of one, she isolates herself away from the action and becomes anti-social with her ball. If another dog approaches and tries to take it, she lets out a mean growl and sometimes snap at them with her back hair raised up.

Any advice on how to change this behavior? What to do when it happens? Thanks, we love the park because it gets all her energy out, but I HATE when people bring in all these toys!!!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I got Hawkeye out of his toy aggression issues by waiting untill he snarled at another dog then I would grab him take away his to and give the toy to the dog he had growled at. He learned never to do it again really fast.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The probelm with that is, she's too quick. As soon as I come near her she picks up the toy and runs away. Then it's like I'm chasing her and I don't want that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's the right kind, yes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i would suggest the treat thing too, or try to get the other dogs owner to show another "forbbin" toy and see if that works to bring her back.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
then if you get a really goog treat and show him you have it would you be able to walk up to him take the toy out of his mouth give it to the other dog and then give him the treat.

Also have you tryed contacting the owner of the dog park telling them that the rules are being broken frequintly?

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you use a treat to entice the toy away you are rewarding the agressive behavior. Instead keep her on a 20ft lead and when she snaps at the other dog, yank the lead and dash over and snag the toy. If your timing is good shell associate the yank with the snarl and not the other dog

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I think the best way to address the dog park situation is to first address the issue at home -- she needs to readily give up toys to you there first. I would focus on that so that you get her to drop or leave toys on command, then work up to other places with increasing levels of distraction, with other dogs if you can find willing owners and everyone knows how to manage the situation.

Then you can move on to the dog park, aka the wild, wild, west ;). IMO, if you don't get this fixed, I would advise you not to go to the dog park. Fights over resources can get so ugly so fast and you don't want something to happen that could have been prevented by just not going. Getting people to obey the rules is a losing battle, so you have to fix the problem on your end.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think in the first place you were wrong for never teaching her drop it with the toys at home.You really can't expect her to listen or respect you at the dog park if she doesn't at home...? I personally would work with her on drop it at home and then after she masters that I would start working with her at the park and I would have her on the 20ft cotton training leads (no way would she not be controled until she showed that she would drop toys on command).This could be an accident waiting to happen at the dog park.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone...this all sounds great. We'll tackle the issue on the home front and make our way to the land of distractions. She will readily drop the ball if she knows i have a treat. But hasn't grasped the command "DROP" yet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The probelm with that is, she's too quick. As soon as I come near her she picks up the toy and runs away. Then it's like I'm chasing her and I don't want that.
Sit down on the floor and practice taking the toy from her, when she gives it up, give her a treat. Then give it back and practice taking it away again. She will learn it is good to let you take a toy, and that she will usually get it back. Associate a command that is easy like "release" or "give" to help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts