Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I got a chow (possibly chow mix) puppy. Someone on craigslist had adopted him at 8 weeks old. He is now 14 -16 weeks old. They gave him to be because they just had a baby and decided he was too much to handle.

His name is Rajah. They worked with him, he reliable sits, stays, and shakes. He also is house broken.

I have only had him a few days, and I am having some alarming issues with him.

Kids- The neighbors have three kids. 6, 8, and 12. They were oustide wrapped up in their winter gear playing in the snow. Rajah LOVES to play and so far has seemed to be great with people. So I took him out on a leash expecting him to play and have a great time! But... Rajah became tense and his fur stood up on his back. He was barking and backing away, sometimes lunging forward. I was in shock, and didnt know what to do! It was honestly the last thing I was expecting. I picked him up and put him in the house. I did not correct him or anything.

Play with other dogs- I have a border collie mix named Skyler, and two foster dogs. Rajah loves to play with them but if he gets too excited he turns aggressive. He plays rough anyway, sometimes he pinches the other dogs lips, and tries to mount them. If another dog plays rough with him, he gets aggressive.

How do I correct this? I have had dogs all my life (shelties and border collies) and I have never had problems like this.

I am willing to seek a professional trainer, but I do not have the money for it now, however when my tax refund comes in I am planning on taking him to obedience lessons anyway.

When do I correct him? and how should i correct him?

thanks guys!

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Kids- The neighbors have three kids. 6, 8, and 12. They were oustide wrapped up in their winter gear playing in the snow. Rajah LOVES to play and so far has seemed to be great with people. So I took him out on a leash expecting him to play and have a great time! But... Rajah became tense and his fur stood up on his back. He was barking and backing away, sometimes lunging forward. I was in shock, and didnt know what to do! It was honestly the last thing I was expecting. I picked him up and put him in the house. I did not correct him or anything.
If he hasn't been exposed to kids in winter gear, then to a pup that can be a scary thing. Anything new and strange can be cause for "alarm" in the dog's head. As an example, I have a 9-12 month old foster dog. She's super people friendly but there's just been a few new things that freaked her out. We'd been walking each morning for a week and she'd walk by the kids waiting for the school bus without much issue (just a little interest in playing or getting pet) and then it rained and all the kids were holding umbrellas. Foster pup freaked and barked and lunged at each "monster" (weird shaped thing standing there...)
So I walked her a little bit away and stopped at the distance it took for her not to be barking and lunging. I calmly said "Quiet" as we walked a away and once she was quiet, we stepped a little closer and stood there. I let her look and sniff from a distance. Then we walked on. I didn't make a deal of it, no correction, just some calm exposure to the scary sight from a distance. It took about 3-4 times of passing someone with an umbrella for her to understand that it was still a person, nothing threatening etc.
But with each new thing, that same type of process has to be repeated. First time foster dog met my aunt, my aunt had reindeer antlers on for a Christmas party. Luna walked into the house, saw her and started snarling and barking and lunging (on-leash). I asked her to sit and she was still barking. Brain flash- I asked my aunt to take off the antlers. Immediately Luna calmed down and started wiggling her little butt in excitement of a new person. Once the antlers were off, I let her sniff them and I handled them to show they were no big deal.

As for playing with other dogs--- is he aggressive or is he playing rough and has no manners? It is super hard to give any kind of advice about aggression over the internet and I'm certainly no expect on true aggression, but I do see a lot of rough play with the dogs that someone else might see as aggression if they didn't know the dogs involved. Are the other dogs trying to get away from him? Biting at the lips and nibbling on the neck and ears and stuff can be pretty typical puppy play, if the other dogs aren't correcting him it might not be a problem (and no one is bleeding). If he is just getting over stimulated in play, try making the play sessions short and then giving him a quiet time for a few minutes in a crate with a chew toy like a kong or do a brief training session of "Sit" or another basic command.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I agree with Shell. The first time I opened an umbrella in front of Kabota, he pancaked himself to the ground and wouldn't move until I closed it and threw it across the yard. My old dog hated hats that stick out from the head. He'd grab it right off your head if you let him get that worked up about it. Slow exposure from a distance is key.

I also don't think he's aggressive. I think he plays rough and has bad doggy manners. Just separate the dogs any time the play starts to get rough.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I agree your puppy was probably scared of the kids. Practice going out in your yard or across the street when the neighbor's kids are out playing in their yard, ask the kids to completely ignore him, and feed him some yummy treats the whole time while you allow him to watch them as much as he wants to. That way, he will get to observe them from afar without them being in his face and he will start to make some positive associations instead of scary associations with them.

There is a great exercise/game called "Look at That!" in a book called Control Unleashed that I like a lot that can help teach you to help teach him to react to new sights less fearfully, which is similar to what I described above. Since he was a young puppy, my dog Squash has been the type that often needs time to just watch things and check them out for a few minutes before deciding whether they are ok or scary. I think he could have turned out as a really "spooky" dog, but playing "Look at That!" really helped him build a lot of confidence in new situations and when being exposed to new things. I think it's important with your pup not to force him into scary situations but not completely shelter him from them, either, and this game is really stellar at finding that balance... and remember, HE gets to decide what is scary, not you. :)

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
A 14-16 week old puppy, aggressive? Not likely.
A puppy that is on his second home when he is only 14-16 weeks old most likely has some consistency/expectation issues that is leading to him not having much exposure to new and different situations, AND also not having very good manners.

My dogs LOVE my nieces-to-be (I'm engaged). But, the other day, the younger, 12 years old, had her batting gear on, pads, batting helmet, everything ready for batting practice. They totally didn't recognize her with her helmet on. She took it off, and they were fine, they quit barking and growling right away.

As for playing, older dogs usually give puppies a "puppy license", especially VERY young puppies like yours. That means they accept more bad manners from puppies because they know that they haven't learned their manners yet. As for mounting, many, many dogs do this and it can have many reasons: over excitement, play, over stimulation (too much going on, they freak out, and mount), stress, and, yes, maybe sometimes dominance. But, usually, just over stressed, stimulated, and excitement. It's usually considered rude by other dogs, but as yours is so young, the older ones may have decided not to reprimand him yet.

If the play looks too rough, just take the pup out of the situation so he can calm down. Learn his body language so you can tell by looking at him when it's going to go from rough play to out of control. Imagine kids on a playground, sometimes they're just playing, but, then, even best friends can turn on each other and it becomes out of control when one kid gets too upset.

It's not aggression.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I agree with everyone else.. My dogs freak out on me some times like when I walked in from the garage with a respirator on as I was grinding and welding out there.. Hope went nuts.. until I took it off.

I will say though that in decades of service work where I went to several people's homes every day to do service work, and had to deal with thousands of dogs both with owners present, or when they were at work, chows were the #1 aggressive dog I encountered by a large margin. Far more than dogs you might expect like rotties, GSD's, dobes, or pit bulls none of those breeds even came in second.. ;) I'd have to give second place to Australian shepherds.. I can generally make any dog feel comfortable with my presence in just a minute or so, but there are always exceptions and chows were #1 on the "I'm gonna threaten you no matter what you do or how friendly or confident you are" list.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts