Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately my 3 month old puppy has been showing signs of aggression. I'm not talking rough playing like normal puppies do, I'm talking actual aggression. He growls at us and attacked me while we were on a walk. My legs and arms are covered in scabs and cuts all from that one attack, excluding what he's done before. I thought he was doing so much better, but apparently I was wrong. I don't know what to do. My mother and grandmother want to get rid of him, and in part, so do I. Please, does anyone have any advice for me? I don't want to give up on him but I just don't know what to do anymore.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
So, have you been trying the things, consistently, that the trainer recommended? And, it's getting worse?

Have you heard of "extinction burst"? This is when a puppy tries harder and harder to keep up the undesirable behavior just as you are trying harder and harder to extinguish it. Basically, the puppy has been behaving rough, in a way you find aggressive. You don't like it. So, you're trying to extinguish the behavior. The puppy wants to keep up the behavior, so they try harder and harder to be allowed to do it.

In other words, it gets worse before it gets better. Have you had the trainer come in again? Or just once?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts