Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum and joined specifically to find some answers to the reason out new dog is behaving this way:

We recently adopted our sister-in-law's Australian Shepherd (a little over 1 year old) because her husband was being slightly abusive to it. Nothing too drastic, but he did yell a lot and would spank occasionally when angry. He was also NEVER socialized. Stayed in the house or fenced in backyard for nearly his entire first year of life.

Consequently, Scout (our dog) is very aggressive towards other dogs he sees now that my wife and I take him to the park and other places. I completely understand this behavior since he was never exposed to other dogs.

Now comes the confusing part though. We have another dog (Sadie) who is much older and very calm. Scout gets along great with her usually but whenever he sees another dog he jumps on Sadie and starts biting her! He doesn't hurt her or draw blood but they start fighting and it sounds very aggressive. Like definitely more than just playful biting.

Why is he being aggressive with his sister whom he normally loves? And also what is a good way to expose him to other dogs that is safe? I want him to get more socialization but definitely do not want any people or dogs to get hurt. I don't think he would bite but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Biting the other dog is displacement behavior out of fear.

Take him out and around other dogs but do not have him interact and keep at a distance so he focuses on you and not on the other dogs. You need to show him YOU are his safe place and focus on you will alleviate his stress around other dogs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It can be hard to have a nervous dog who hasn’t been socialized. How long have you had the Aussie? They need 2-3 months to decompress in a new home.
Since he missed his social period as a puppy, he’ll probably never be totally comfortable with other dogs. Some dogs are specifically leash aggressive. They feel trapped and have no escape.
Being at home in a natural and comfortable environment is a lot easier for dogs to get along. Not as much human interruptions either.
Don’t force the new dog to meet other dogs, especially while on leash. This creates a possibly hostile environment. They can’t show body language or properly sniff butts.
I cannot let my male meet other dogs while walking him with my female. (Not related and otherwise they both like other dogs). He’ll snap at the other dogs or at her if I let them meet another dog on walks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He has been with us about 6 months now and is dramatically better than he was when we first got him.
And about the leash aggression I feel that is his problem as well because when we go to my mother-in-law's who has other dogs he is sweet to them. But when on a leash he is aggressive towards everything that moves.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
He has been with us about 6 months now and is dramatically better than he was when we first got him.
And about the leash aggression I feel that is his problem as well because when we go to my mother-in-law's who has other dogs he is sweet to them. But when on a leash he is aggressive towards everything that moves.
That is defense and that is fear. He cannot run away and knows that choice has been eliminated, so he acts big and tough (scare them b4 'whatever" can get him). Typical fight or flight.

Teach him leash manners away from everything and everyone else first. Make YOU the best place to be and a safe place. I would work on this at home in an empty garage or basement.. no people or other dogs. Work your way up to the back yard.. and distractions. The instant he looks at or to you.. even a glance.. mark it and pay it (food). You will need to work on this gradually.

It he starts to look at something (they do this before they react) get between him and the "whatever" and pay him for looking at you. STAY between him and the scary thing so he can see you are advocating for him and you will take care of "it."

This is going to take time and patience. Lots of both.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts