Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Aggressive behavior

872 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Francl27 
#1 ·
Sorry so long want to put as much detail as possible: We had a lot of people at our house for an extended period of time for a family gathering and my dog snapped and growled at several people including a child. (The adults let him sniff there hand first and he still did it) When I picked him up he bite me but not to injure.
Most of the people he had met before and he was fine with on other occasions with less people and children. I took him outside to give him some space and all he wanted to do was go back inside. After that I kept him on leash so I could watch him and stop anything from happening. (Putting him in his crate made him cry). He wanted to be with everyone but didn't want them touching him. He was also panting does that mean he was stressed? Is there a way to get him better with larger groups? He was socialized as a puppy but we don't have large groups normally just for holidays and my 7 year old nephew is the only kid he really sees regularly. He's a yorkie/maltipoo mix and is 1 year six months old. It was embarrassing and I don't want him to actually hurt someone.

#2 ·
It sounds like he was majorly stressed out. Panting when the dog is not hot or has not been exercising is one sign of stress. Snapping and growling are stronger signs that the dog is not comfortable with the situation; if the dog is snapping and growling without biting then he is showing restraint and trying to "defend" himself without escalating to biting but quite possibly will move up to biting if he is stuck in a still intense/stressful situation.

If he has limited interaction with both kids and large groups but was then forced (force by circumstance, I don't mean physical force) to be around both for a long, sudden period of time then that can top the stress factor.

Dogs don't clear stress hormones from their bodies as quickly as humans. So it builds up. Look up "trigger stacking"

I suggest having a quiet spot away from guests that has a crate and/or exercise pen (whatever the dog is used to) or a bed or closet with a baby gate on it to give the dog time to decompress. Interact with one or two people at a time, maybe by taking a walk together or playing with one person in a quieter room, and let the dog chill out alone during busier family gathering times. A fan or a radio on low provides good background noise.

#3 ·
I have never understood the need for guests and the family dog to interact. OF COURSE the dog is stressed to the max. All these new people.. a change in routine.. people touching and walking around.

Instead of being embarrassed, crate the dog. Separate the dog and the people. Take him out as needed and feed in the crate. Walk him by himself. No need for dog and guests to mingle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.