Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! First time posting here, abs looking forward to the help.

We have a three year old female Anatolian Shepard. She’s a good dog, but has one issue, especially towards men, myself included. She’s REALLY good about being protective of our daughters, (13 and 11), and will get between any guy and them.
The problem is, she’s that way towards me also. If I’m wrestling or chasing them, she’s on me nipping at me and barking. If I just go into their rooms, she’ll follow me and has that look like “don’t think about getting close to them...”
Her other issue is when I get up in the mornings, she’ll sneak into our room and get up on our bed. I don’t allow that, but when I try to move her, she’ll growl and this morning she actually nipped at my hand. Im worried one of these days she’s going to go farther.
Any suggestions on how to show her she’s not in charge without spanking her, (which I know does nothing).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great advice, thank you. That actually worked this morning when she snapped at me. I said let’s go outside, and she got up.
It’s unfortunate because she’s a good dog, and I like that she’s protective of the girls. I brought this on us by “training” her the wrong way when she was little. I’d wrestle with the girls and when she’d growl or get close to me, I’d compliment her... I was trying to get her to be a protector of the girls, but it worked the wrong way. That was wrong, so I don’t blame her. Now I just need to figure out how to keep her from nipping because it’s getting worse.
And yes, I knew it’s part of her breed. It was crazy how protective she was a few weeks ago with a friends newborn we were watching. The baby was laying on the floor and our girls and two of their friends were sitting around her. Zoe had never been around the baby, but anytime any of the girls would move towards the baby, Zoe would actually sit on them keeping them from getting closer to the baby....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

Storyist- I appreciate you bringing up the baby on the floor discussion. I’ve raised enough kids to know what’s safe, and what isn’t.... I’m noticing I’m becoming the “Safety Officer” at home.... I would never leave a baby on the floor alone ever. The girls and my wife were sitting around her doing what girls do to babies; cuddling, cooing, etc. I only brought that up to describe how protective she is even to kids that aren’t hers. But seriously, thank you, I should have expanded more on that.
As far as crating her at night, I like her out in case someone makes the bad decision to break in. She would be all over them, and her bark for even those that come close to the yard would probably make someone think twice.
For those saying to put her away when I’m playing with the girls, I’ve quit wrestling with them because I do t want to encourage her behavior. The problem is even if I walk into their rooms, or I’m giving them a hug, she’s right there, staring at me, basically daring me to do something...
Again, I like that she’s protective, but I’ll follow any advice given in the previous posts to make sure it gets better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.