Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question for everyone. As you know, I've been working on introducing Jasper to Willow and Bandit. I expected Willow to give him a harder time than Bandit (Willow is leash-reactive, pushy and dominant, while Bandit is super polite, has never met a dog he didn't like, and submissive), but it's turning out to be just the opposite. As I said, I've never seen Bandit act aggressively to ANY dog, male or female, but every time Bandit and Jasper get within sniffing range, Bandit gets going with a deep throaty growl. He has always been on leash so I immediately separate them and it's never escalated. Bandit seems absolutely fine with Jasper when they are on seperate sides of a fence or barrier, but when they can sniff and circle, Bandit starts with the aggression. So far Jasper hasn't retaliated with growls or anything, but will try to subdue/dominate Bandit by pushing his head on Bandit's neck... this all happens in a split-second and I seperate them immediately.

Could this be because Jasper is still intact? He has his neuter surgery scheduled but I know that it could take up to a month for the hormones to subside. Should I expect Bandit's antagonism towards Jasper to lessen after he is neutered (and only begin introducing them then), or should I just progress with formal introductions now?

Any advice from folks with 2 male dogs would be great. This is actually my first time owning 2 boys at once - much less one of them still intact.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
find a helper and walk them together. starting with just you and your help letting the dogs have brief glimpses of each other. then longer glimpses. then walk parallel for a moment. increase the time of parallel walkin, and gradually decrease the space.

reward heavily for good behavior.

intactness may have something to o with it but my guess is more of simple tension between two dogs. its just been threat display and posturing, correct?

unfortunately there is a small chance they will not get along but they can. I think its good that you are cautiou.

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
My black lab was extremely social, but unkind to intact males - not to the point of attacking, but lots of bullying, which was otherwise out-of-character for him. Unfortunately, he could spot an intact male from about 100 yards at the dog park.

We walked regularly with an intact Bernese mountain dog and Cubby just barely tolerated him. At age four, the Bernese was neutered to help curb recurrent UTIs and they became best buddies.

So, yeh, I think it happens.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
My black lab was extremely social, but unkind to intact males - not to the point of attacking, but lots of bullying, which was otherwise out-of-character for him. Unfortunately, he could spot an intact male from about 100 yards at the dog park.

We walked regularly with an intact Bernese mountain dog and Cubby just barely tolerated him. At age four, the Bernese was neutered to help curb recurrent UTIs and they became best buddies.

So, yeh, I think it happens.
Just Curious
It's interesting, I can understand intact males spotted/smelled when closer etc. but with longer distances it would appear to be difficult. What is it that the dog cues on, at those distances that's kinda spooky. Not doubting it just interested.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I have two boys; one is intact (Clayton's a pup, and he will remain intact until he is at least six months old). There are times when Cupid growls at Clayton, but it's more when Clay is being especially puppy exuberant or not allowing Cupid his personal space. :rolleyes:

You have made me curious, though, about whether their interaction will change after Clay is neutered.

Hope things improve!

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I have two boys; one is intact (and will be until at least six months). There are times when Cupid growls at Clayton, but it's more when Clay is being especially puppy exuberant or not allowing Cupid his personal space. :rolleyes:

You have made me curious, though, about whether their interaction will change after Clay is neutered.

Hope things improve!
Well I don't know for sure as it's an individual dog thing. But one thing is true if it doesn't help it won't hurt.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have had multipule males housed together in my home (all were intact) and we have never had a fight or signs of aggression.Now my females thats another story but generally a growl or snap will re-establish the pecking order.

I really liked reading: The dog's mind understanding your dogs behavior by bruce fogle

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
My friend had this problem when trying to Adopt her current aussie, Jet. Her sister lives in the same house as her with a smaller Sheltie. the sheltie is an intact male, well when she brought the shltie to meet the aussie at the shelter both males started growling and snapping at each other.

after a few forced butt sniffing, we would hold the head of one of the males and allow the other male to smell the rear of the other, they seemed to get better. Then she took them both for a walk together a few times before finally adopting Jet.

The sheltie and Jet are not best buds but they respect each other and can get along civialy.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Well Carsten (who is intact) has certainly had more then his share of attacks by other dogs. :( Like RonE said, it starts from far away sometimes. Surely the other dog isn't seeing any weird behavior because in all of the situations Carsten was minding his own business and then WHAM! He gets nailed by a nasty dog. :(
Sadly, the more it happens and the older he gets, I think the next dog might get a taste of it's own medicine. He has HAD IT!

Nekomi Are you intending to neuter Jasper? If so maybe keeping them apart until after would stack the odds in your favor. That way at least they have not built UP the aggression between them and you would be sort of starting with a clean slate. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
Just Curious
It's interesting, I can understand intact males spotted/smelled when closer etc. but with longer distances it would appear to be difficult. What is it that the dog cues on, at those distances that's kinda spooky. Not doubting it just interested.
We were regulars at the dog park so I suppose it's possible he had encountered the dogs previously and then recognized them from a distance at a later date.

I know he never forgot anyone who gave him a treat, so it probably wasn't difficult for him to remember testicles.

My long-time prejudice against rottweilers (greatly diminished since I joined dog forums) was probably the result of the fact that every rottweiler I ever met was intact and, since my dog didn't like them one bit, I tended to avoid them whenever possible.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I have had multipule males housed together in my home (all were intact) and we have never had a fight or signs of aggression.Now my females thats another story but generally a growl or snap will re-establish the pecking order.
Same here. We currently have 2 intact males and a neutered male. the only ones that start problems are the girls, lol.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
My long-time prejudice against rottweilers (greatly diminished since I joined dog forums) was probably the result of the fact that every rottweiler I ever met was intact and, since my dog didn't like them one bit, I tended to avoid them whenever possible.
Inga quietly pushes Carsten under a bed and covers his backside.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
For what it's worth, the two-three months during which I had Webster and he was unneutered he was victim to several "bullyings" by strangle male dogs, both intact and neutered. Since being neutered he hasn't had any issues.

HOWEVER...he was also a canine social idiot when I got him, though he learned quickly how to behave around other dogs, so that may have at least as big a role as whether he still had his lucky charms...

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
Inga quietly pushes Carsten under a bed and covers his backside.
Inga, you are probably the main reason I look at rotts differently now.

That and the fact that my ball-busting lab is gone and one of my current dogs may very well be a rott mix.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Well Ron it might be best that you do not meet my boys then. lol They are sweet but annoying as all get out at times. I prefer you stayed swayed to the black and tan side. ;) :)

Just wanted to add, Oliver who is neutered and has been since he was only 4 1/2 months old has gotten accosted as well but not as often as poor Carsten. Do you think that dogs that are fixed are jealous? lol Just kidding.

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
Do you think that dogs that are fixed are jealous? lol Just kidding.
I actually used to believe exactly that, though I used to joke that Cubby felt that all males should be neutered and he was prepared to perform the surgery himself if needed.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
We were regulars at the dog park so I suppose it's possible he had encountered the dogs previously and then recognized them from a distance at a later date.

I know he never forgot anyone who gave him a treat, so it probably wasn't difficult for him to remember testicles.

Yes, that I can understand, The old T&T memory program strikes again. I'm sure glad you conqered the Rottie prejudice program as there are bunches of good ones floating around. But of course Inga's rascals are at the top of the heap.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I'm sure glad you conqered the Rottie prejudice program as there are bunches of good ones floating around. But of course Inga's rascals are at the top of the heap.
I agree with the first part. We will just let you keep believing the second part. ;) :D
I will hold off from telling too many of the "Carsten just ate the toilet paper roll" or "Carsten just tore out $350. worth of landscaping" stories. LOL :D

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the great advice and stories. It's great to hear that Bandit isn't the only one with "jealousy" towars intact boys. :D

Nekomi Are you intending to neuter Jasper? If so maybe keeping them apart until after would stack the odds in your favor. That way at least they have not built UP the aggression between them and you would be sort of starting with a clean slate. Just a thought.
Yep, Jasper will be neutered next week. I think that leaving them apart until the hormones die down is the best course of action... thanks for the input! I like your idea of a clean slate.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
and just in case they are able to sense hormones from afar a few weeks after the surgery to let things balance out in Jaspers body a bit. :) Good luck to you. I hope they become good friends in time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts