Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 mo. old female Pittbull/Lab/Shepard mix (Eeva) that I've had for 6 days now. I've been bringing her to my parents' to play/socialize with their 4 yr old male Mini Schnauzer (Beau). My parents were worried about bringing another dog around because he seems very territorial towards neighbors' dogs. Lots of barking lol. I brought my puppy up the first day and they met in the back yard.. Lots of barking from Beau and whimpering from Eeva at first.

Eventually they got moved into Beau's fenced yard and he doesn't seem to mind her there. As well as, at first he didn't want her touching his toys but now as long as a human doesn't pick it up and give it to her, or he has it already, he doesn't care. He does do a bit of snapping at her and rolled her over here and there. At the moment, she's chewing one of his cow hooves and he's just laying there watching.

Also, he is fixed but still gets occassional urges (usually the cat or mom's armrest in her car).. Every day I've had Eeva here, he's tried with her. I am wondering if this behavior would stop or could it be a constant problem. She doesn't seem to be afraid of him at all. She seems very happy to be around him, tail wagging and excited whimpers. Although he seems very tense and watchful. Could this possibly become a serious problem with them? Possibly as she gets older and more independant?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Generally speaking, male-female pairs work out more smoothly than same-sex pairs or larger groups. Since this behavior has been observed many times in dogs , there is probably some genetically 'wired' reason for it. Why that is would be speculation - but you can benefit from it even if we don't know why.

Mounting behavior is not really related to procreation - as is obvious in your case. It has much more to do with leadership assertions than with anything else.

More important for you to be aware of is the so-called "puppy-pass". Up to about 5-6 months old, puppies can act like puppies around adult dogs. When they pass that age, they are expected to start acting more like adults and other dogs will react to them if they do not. Sometimes, a puppy that has gotten along fine visiting an adult dog "suddenly" seems to be unwelcome by same. Actually, it isn't sudden at all but the warning signs are ignored - by us humans. So you may have to do some re-introductions.

FYI, pups that are around older dogs all the time - meaning basically 24-7 - don't show as much visible evidence of this. But again, the changes were probably happening without us seeing them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts