Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My five month old (lab-pit? lab-mountain curr? lab-something?) Cal, has recently been showing signs of possessive behavior. During the day he comes to work with me where I work as a nanny. Along with the two kiddos they also have an eight year old chocolate lab, Caddie. Cal and Caddie get along great! They run and play all day long. Cal is very socialized and gets out to the dog park at least three times a week and hangs with Caddie on most of the other days.

Recently, whenever I go to pet or play with Caddie, Cal becomes very possessive and tries to put himself in between her and I. Caddie, who is a lot bigger can easily push him to the side and usually does. This results in Cal trying to jump on her which she does not like. I'm not sure if he just wants to play or is actually angry I am giving another dog attention.

As a first time dog owner I am not sure how to handle the situation and I would love any input for experienced pet parents!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
It may just be that he sees the other dog getting attention and wants some, so he rudely breaks in. 5 month old puppies are generally pretty rude, lol.

I would get some great treats for him, something he really likes, and every time you give the other dog attention, give Cal a treat. That way, he'll learn that other dogs getting mommy's attention means he gets something awesome. I would move on to getting him to sit/stay when you play with the other dog, again, heavily rewarded.

However, I would make sure the other dog a) isn't going to start a fight over food, and b) gets a few treats herself, too, and I would make sure Cal isn't going to start a fight over the treats, either. If there's any risk of either dog getting fractious over food, then I would put Cal away with something to chew on, like a bully stick, prior to doing anything with Caddie. By "put away", I mean in a crate or another room with the door closed.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Is he acting aggressive about it, or just trying to get in the way? It's really common for puppies to think they can insert themselves whenever someone else is getting attention. They don't really have manners yet.

I would remove the puppy a bit and make it clear that you're petting the other dog. Or you can hope that the older dog corrects him at some point (like for jumping on her back).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts