Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Aggression Issues

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  zimandtakandgrrandmimi 
I have just gone through a terrible experience with my beloved rescue dog who developed bad and unpredictable aggression. I applaud you for being so thoughtful and careful about this. I can say that one of the problems was my reaction to the whole situation (which I am still dealing with). I would become very, very nervous as soon as a stranger came by or someone came to the house. I stopped asking people over and began to avoid any and all situations that might result in an encounter with my dog and a stranger. It could not have helped him that I was so nervous. One thing that did help me was to have a muzzle for him. I used it to provide some comfort for me (I knew he would be unable to bite) and it gave a bit of a warning to strangers that he was not a dog to just walk up to and interact with. Most people took the hint and would engage in a conversation with me rather than just reach out a hand. It also prevented him from practicing the behavior. When he bit, people went away which, in a way, was what he wanted so it was important to prevent a repeat of the aggression.

Good luck and take care of yourself in all this; it is very stressful and upsetting for the family.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.