Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 3 1/2 month old lab mix. We have had her about 3 weeks. We have had puppies and dogs all our lives, and this one has me really baffled and upset.

A few days after we got her, she was out front, on leash with me, and a neighbor came out of his house. He was nowhere near us, didn't even speak to us. She started growling. I corrected her with a tug on the leash and it stopped. Happened again with another neighbor a few days later. Corrected and stopped. Took her out front on leash about 10 days ago while my 14 yr old was playing further out in the yard. When puppy saw her, she immediately started barking and growling. Tail straight out, fur up. I know she didn't know who she was. Took her over, while she was still in alert mode, and she settled down once she realized who it was.
Same daughter tried to walk her a few days ago, and came home with a torn up jacket and a report that halfway home puppy started leaping at her and she had to hold her away from her body on the leash to get home. Said puppy was growling and showing teeth.
I just walked her, as I have done 3 times a day since getting her. She went ballistic. No provocation, nothing startled her, it was not after a correction or after being taken away from somewhere she wanted to be. She turned to me and leaped at me, growling and snapping. I held her on short leash away from me till she stopped. Started to walk, she did it again, but this time it did not stop. She was leaping at me, snarling, growling and snapping while I desperately tried to hold her leash in a manner that kept her from making contact with me. This lasted several minutes, during which I could not get her to stop no matter what. My heart is still pounding.
I don't know how I can ever trust this puppy again. I have NEVER seen such behavior from a puppy or dog in my life. We use clicker training, positive reinforcement, etc. She has never been hit, or manhandled.
Is she hopeless?? Is there anything I can do?? I am stunned!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
As far as barking at folks that she sees, I see this as inexperience and just anxiety. My pup barked at someone in a trench coat and I just chalked it up to inexperience. I didn't correct my dog, I just switched directions, kept training, and let her calm down and forget it. People coming in and out of houses can just cause a pup to "alert." Normal behavior. The pup just needs more confidence and experience.

As far as jumping on you and your daughter: There's no way for any of us to know if you have a pushy, pent up pup who was playing way too rough or if you have an unstable dog. My best guess would be the former. Pups can be so naughty and fast and active. Perhaps it's play behaviour gone too far. On the other hand, maybe there is a problem. If it was me, I would pay for a private session with a trainer and get an opinion. Don't seek out an opinion from just anyone though! So many people think they are dog experts when really, they are just dog lovers. See if you have a local kennel club. If so, call and ask for a referral. If not, call a shelter and ask for one. If you still strike out, ask a vet to suggest a trainer they respect. Have that person look at your pup. They should be able to tell very quickly whether or not your pup is bonkers.

Unless you have handled tons of dogs, you may be surprised by how feral a playful pup can look. Mine sounds like satan's spawn at times. She's just screwing around in play, but it sounds bad. If it's really cold out and I ask her to go out to potty, she growls very, very loudly. It's an inviation for me to grab her butt as she scoots out the door, but if you didn't know her, you would think it's a serious behavior problem. Labs can be really, really mouthy. My best (uninformed, as I have not met you or your dog) guess, is that everything is fine and your pup just needs more training and impulse control.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts