Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, sounds crazy right?! Well heres the story and hopefully someone can offer some advice!

We got Elvin in 2010, Opie in 2011. They were perfectly fine around each other. No issues at all, ever. We lived in apartments. We took them on walks. We took them to the dog park. They slept together. Elvin was neutered before Opie.
Fast forward to 2014, we move into our 1st house and suddenly all hell breaks loose within Opie. Hes attacked Elvin 2x and 1 could have led to Elvins death. We crate and rotate at that point and get Opie neutered.

We tried slowly introducing them and Opie wants no part of it if the mood strikes ( just growling, no other attacks since neutered). He will go in a cycle almost. He'll act fine, they can be together ( if we allowed them), then he will start barking/whining, then growling at Elvin if he even walks by, then magically its back to normal. I could see if he wasnt fixed due to hormones. Then youd say " get him fixed and it will help".

Nothing has changed to make me think of any triggers. He is not this way with the girls and he wasnt this way when they were together before the attacks or with any other dogs ( males at the dog park, etc).

So how can I, if at all, have them together again? If i cant, thats fine but id like to safely try if we can pinpoint the problem. Re-Homing is not an option.
* I have talked to the vet, he just said crate and rotate and re-home if it gets too bad.

ETA: i dont think its the house ( a lady from a rescue i trust and talked to asked and mentioned that). My uncle owned it before us and they did have a spayed female and then a neutered male. Before that it was my great grandparents house and I dont believe they had a dog.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Under what circumstances did Opie attack Elvin? While they were playing? Eating? Were there toys around? When they were excited about something they saw out a window?

How long ago was Opie neutered? Has a vet given Opie a full physical exam? A drastic mood change like that can be the result of an actual physical problem.

Opie doesn't act this way towards any other dogs, male or female? Just Elvin?

Sorry, that's a lot of questions, but some of the answers may allow myself or other forum members a bit more information upon which we can base our advice :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Under what circumstances did Opie attack Elvin? While they were playing? Eating? Were there toys around? When they were excited about something they saw out a window? Just if Opie felt Elvin was in his space

How long ago was Opie neutered? Has a vet given Opie a full physical exam? A drastic mood change like that can be the result of an actual physical problem. About 3 mo ago and the 2nd attack was last fall, yes to an exam.

Opie doesn't act this way towards any other dogs, male or female? Just Elvin? Just Elvin

Sorry, that's a lot of questions, but some of the answers may allow myself or other forum members a bit more information upon which we can base our advice :)
Thanks for asking to clarify!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Elvin might actually be instigating. It's not always the dog who attacks who causes the attack.

My guess would be, though, that Opie doesn't like having another dog in his space for extended periods of time. That's why he's fine with every other dog, because they don't live with him. You'll never get him to like Elvin, but crate and rotate is a thing.

I'm not overly shocked to hear Opie is a beagle. Properly bred beagles should be the dog friendliest dogs in the world, but beagles are a popular breed and that means a lot of unscrupulous breeders are breeding very poor breeding stock as often as possible to make money. It's sad.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense. Thanks. i dont want to force them to be best friends if they cant be for safety so im glad to know we at least tried.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts