Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. A week ago my 11 month old dog Ziggy got spayed and I am very worried because now she is being aggressive. I adopted her when she was 3 months old, but a month after, I had to move in with my parents and brother because my landlord decided he no longer allowed pets. I didn’t want to give her up. She used to be a very anxious and fearful dog, but gradually she gained confidence and was the sweetest dog until now. The first incidence occurred 5 days after the surgery. She was sleeping by the door when my dad came home and she just jumped, bit him and drew blood. She continued lunging until I caught her. She was running a fever then, so I thought that might be the reason. The next morning she seemed fine, but as my brother was petting her on the chest, she did the same thing. She doesn’t just growl. She bites immediately and continues lunging. Same incident with my brother today. She even followed him into the other room and continued lunging until I stopped her. I am very confused. Although my father never paid her much attention, my brother used to play with her and she used to be very happy to see him. She showered him with kisses as soon as he walked into the room. No aggression towards me or my mom at this point. She has never been abused by anyone in the family. I work from home and spend a lot of time with her and we have a great bond. I know for a fact that another dog from the same litter (4 puppies were found in a cardboard box on the street) has always been very aggressive and the family is about to give her up. Has anyone experienced something similar? Should I have not spayed her? I will be moving out of my parents house soon, but I don’t want to exacerbate the situation. What can I do? Look for a trainer right away? I’d appreciate any advice you might have!

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
There's a lot here... but I'd recommend isolating her from family members asap (if you're in the USA there are probably quarantine laws since she bit and broke skin). I'd also recommend finding a veterinary behaviorist, not just a trainer. It is very, very likely that this was NOT directly caused by the spay surgery. Though dogs do act differently when they're in pain so maybe the discomfort of the surgery site could have contributed in some way. But you mentioned she had a fever (which is concerning it of itself), you mentioned she used to be very anxious and fearful, and that her littermate had aggression issues too.... All of those things are bigger red flags to me than the spay surgery. But regardless of the reason, your dog is currently a bite risk and a liability. Be wary of any training or medical advice you get on the internet. This is why all I'm really saying is, manage her and make sure all parties are safe, and find a vet behaviorist.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
First and foremost, isolate her. Call the veterinarian who spayed her and ask if there were any issues with her at the hospital.

I have seen this once in a dog after spaying. The second opinion on this dog by a second vet was that she may have gotten too much anesthesia. The dog had a total personality change (and she was not a brave dog to begin with).

This dog never really recovered and she had the best of care and someone who gave her every last possible chance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts