Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what age should I decrease the exercises that require more of the body like long walks, agility, frisbee, jump tricks?
At what age it becomes detrimental to her health to continue with exercises that require effort?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'm curious to hear the responses on this as well. I'm not sure there is no specific age, but more about what can your dog handle. I know a lot of agility folks who swim their dogs, as a means of cross training to help build supporting muscles and reduce over-all strain. Personally, I would keep an eye out for changes in behavior, or just generally slowing down and lack of enjoyment. I would also work closely with your vet. (just my thoughts)

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
I'd recommend that you reduce jumping exercises for large dogs at 10 yo. My LabxGSD is 11 yo and 60 lb, but not an agility dog. However, he started to sprain his front paws from normal off leash running and jumping at age 9. At 10 yo, he was a little more careful about jumping over ditches and brush. He was very agile, and sure-footed but has fallen a few times on ice in the last few years. No injury, but he's a little more careful.

Otherwise, he's 11 yo and he still seems to do just fine in 100 degree weather and mid-20 degree weather. I'm a little concerned that he may be having a little trouble in < 25 degree weather, but he's still happy and athletic. He does sleep more....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts