Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a tic that was probably in my dog for a couple of days. Unfortunately the tics head broke off when I pulled it out. I called the vet and they said not to worry and that the head will work its way out which it did after about a week. There was no rash or any other symptoms except loss of appetite in the morning. We just got back from a VERY vigorous play time with other dogs at the beach so I thought she would be really hungry but she was not interested. It is 3:00 pm now and she still hasn't eaten her meal. I even offered her a piece of sausage(which she normally gobbles up) but she turned it down.
Does anyone think her loss of appetite could be related to her tic bite? Should I take her to the vet?
Pretty sure the tic was a pacific coast tic, but to be honest I'm not sure. She got the tic along the coast of santa cruz CA.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
So its been about one week since she was bit?

Had the tick fed or was it dead? Ticks need time to transmit Lyme disease and most tick medicines (topicals for flea and tick) kill the tick before it has fed enough to transfer disease in general.

Could her loss of appetite be related to the workout? I intentionally don't feed before or after a very hard workout (several hours at least). Or is it unusually hot today? When you say loss of appetite in the morning, do you mean each morning or just this morning?

Whenever you are really worried, a vet check is a good idea, but personally I would wait until tomorrow so long as she is drinking water normally and urinating normally. If she turns down dinner and breakfast tomorrow, then I'd call the vet and ask. And of course call or take her in if there are any other symptoms of illness. But that is just my opinion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts