Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had our 11 wk old Springer spaniel for 6 days and have been crate training him the Dunbar way. He has his little area to go 'potty' with turf on it. We stuck to the recommended methods only adjusting the time frames to fit Rusty a bit better..... and today we have determined he is trained enough to not be confined to his crate in between potty/play/training breaks! We leave his crate door open so he still has the option. We are able to leave him in his little play yard where, we've noticed, that every time he has to go, he makes sure to do it on the turf!

He is allowed out of his play yard and into the main yard to play with the kids for a bit only after we know he's peed AND Poo'd. the kids are so excited! They can now visit him in his play yard and do various training/feeding techniques with him, as well as cuddle him whenever they want!

He is still going potty in the main yard if his play yard is out of site. He k nows where it is but just squats and goes if he's not near it. but he's 100% succssful when he's in the general area of his play yard. So we're still having accidents. Any ideas on how to make sure he goes back to his play yard to go if he's not on that side of the yard? We're thought of trying to shorten is play time outside of his yard to 10 min or so b/c he usually has his accidents once he's been playing for quite a while. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have been using Dunbar's method as well. I crate my pup for 2-3 hours one to two times a day to encourage my pup to hold it. I put him in an ex-pen with his crate open and a wee wee pad in the corner for the few occassions we are gone more than 4 hours as shown in his book. The rest of the time, I take pup out on leash to a designated potty spot every time I think he needs to go which is about every hour or two. Taking the pup to a designated spot on leash and giving him his command "Let's go do your business" while we are walking to the spot and "go wee wee and poo poo" while there really helps. (you can, of course, pick your own wording). Also, I ALWAYS bring a treat and make sure to treat him with praise and food after he pees and poos.

I stand in one spot and wait for him to go. I am beginning to "read" his body language now. Most times he will pee right away. Sometimes, he will want to walk off from the area but I encourage him to stay and do #2 by holding his leash and not leaving myself. If I am calm and I wait, he usually goes. If he really doesn't need to poo, I read his body movements and try again later...

I see signs that my pup is really understanding that he has a designated potty area. Sometimes I take him out without a leash but he still goes to the same spot. Also, when we are in the yard for a while, I see he'll go to the back corner to do his business even though he has access to the whole yard!

It sounds like you are almost there since he is on target if he is near his place. Is his place indoors or outdoors? Either way, I would say try taking him on leash each time he needs to potty and give specific commands. Make it a routine. Also, like you said, since you know he'll go after play, make sure you take him on potty breaks on leash after play or even during play... A few weeks of doing this, I think he'll get the idea. Also, since he is on turf in his spot and turf when he goes in your yard, maybe you should look into a different texture for his spot?

We've been doing potty training for 4 weeks now and signs are good that my pup is getting it but still not 100 percent. I think it just takes a while... But I've read consistency and paitence is what we can do and the pup will get it eventually... :)

Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts