Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
Can you please recommend an antibiotic for a pet that does a good job and may be with which you had some experience?

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Uh talk to your vet. What's wrong with the dog? Antibiotics aren't exactly over the counter type of drugs so you'll need a vet prescription anyways. Also different infections and bacteria respond to different antibiotics. If something is wrong with the dog, you really should be taking them to the vet instead of asking for opinions online.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
zhaor, thanks for your reply!
Everything is ok, I'm thinking at preparing a medicine box for my new dog that is why I'd want to know some opinions about this or that antibiotic to be well prepared if it is necessary:)

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
If you're just talking about things in a first aid kit for minor cuts and bruises, you can use something like neosporin. Just try to make sure they don't lick it off since it's not really good to ingest.

Hydrogen peroxide is safe to use as well as far as I know. It may bleach the fur is all. It can also be used to induce vomiting.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Not really about making a first aid kit, but there are becoming an increasing number of antibiotic resistent infections. One thing my holistic vet told me is that milk thistle (silymarin) helps compromise the bacteria's ability to pump the antibiotics back out. I am pretty sure it really helped when Ray had an antibiotic resistant bone infection. So, it's important to know what antibiotics work on a specific strain, and if it's resistant, maybe try the milk thistle (in addition to the right antibiotic). Your vet will be able to tell what antibiotics are best for certain circumstances/infections.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Also different infections and bacteria respond to different antibiotics.
Yeah, my SIL decided to take some leftover (don't get me started on that, take the whole prescription!) antibiotics prescribed to her daughter for an ear infection for her own UTI. Which then became a roaring kidney infection, because the same bacteria don't infect ears and bladders. The worst part is, she's on Medicare and her doctor visits and scrips are free. This was just laziness.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Not really about making a first aid kit, but there are becoming an increasing number of antibiotic resistent infections. One thing my holistic vet told me is that milk thistle (silymarin) helps compromise the bacteria's ability to pump the antibiotics back out. I am pretty sure it really helped when Ray had an antibiotic resistant bone infection. So, it's important to know what antibiotics work on a specific strain, and if it's resistant, maybe try the milk thistle (in addition to the right antibiotic). Your vet will be able to tell what antibiotics are best for certain circumstances/infections.
Bacteria don't "pump the antibiotics back out". What it might do is compromise the bacteria's defense system against the antibiotics, probably by disrupting the cell wall or cell membrane, thus allowing the antibiotics IN. Additionally, resistant bacteria typically aren't resistant to ALL antibiotics (as there are well over a hundred types of antibiotics), usually just the the most common ones used to treat it. Even MRSA, one of the most common and thus dangerous types of antibiotic-resistant bacteria can still be treated with antibiotics - just different (and stronger) antibiotics than would normally be used to treat a staph infection.

Just curious, would iodine be safe to use on dogs as an antiseptic?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Bacteria don't "pump the antibiotics back out". What it might do is compromise the bacteria's defense system against the antibiotics, probably by disrupting the cell wall or cell membrane, thus allowing the antibiotics IN. Additionally, resistant bacteria typically aren't resistant to ALL antibiotics (as there are well over a hundred types of antibiotics), usually just the the most common ones used to treat it. Even MRSA, one of the most common and thus dangerous types of antibiotic-resistant bacteria can still be treated with antibiotics - just different (and stronger) antibiotics than would normally be used to treat a staph infection.
Shrug. However you want to describe it the milk thistle did seem to help. Sometimes holistic vets describe things differently than allopathic vets. The bone infection Ray had was resistant to all but a few antibiotics. The most effective one, he would have had to spend the entire treatment at the vet's on iv fluids to keep from killing his kidneys. We went with the second most effective, which required wearing gloves when giving it as it causes bone marrow surpression in humans. Adding the milk thistle was when he turned the corner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts