Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 year old Bichon Frise. He has been experiencing arthritis. My dad is a M.D. and calculated in Merck's guide to Veterinary Medicine the appropriate dosage for Ibuprofen. I gave my dog advil. He seems to be fine, but he has experiencing some lameness. My dad says that giving advil to my dog should be okay because ibuprofen is given as a pain reliever for humans and animals and it is in Merk's Guide. I told him that it is not recommended. Who is right, and why? What are the potential side-effects for administering this drug? Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It's not generally safe. Link Use buffered aspirin. And always check with your vet before giving it to the dog.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I gave my old dog one buffered aspirin a day per my vet's instructions for arthritis. Dogs should never be given Advil or Tylenol in my opinion~

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ibuprophen is highly toxic to dogs and cats. They cannot metabolize it properly. There are many safe, inexpensive supplements, prescriptions, etc that you can give your pet that will help and not kill them.
look up Dasuquin, Cosequin, Glycoflex, Rimadyl, or Metacam

·
Registered
286 Posts
My dog did very well on Rimadyl until nothing more could help her, but it gave her an extra lease on life while she did take it.

I wish I had started Rimadyl sooner and not listened to all the nonsense about the medicine.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Is there a safe dosage of ibuprofen for dogs indicated in the Merck's manual? I was of the understanding that ibuprofen is extremely toxic to dogs, but that aspirin and acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be used in dogs with the proper medical supervision. I don't have access to a Merck's manual (I want one, though), so I'm not certain.

If you're concerned, contact a vet for more advice. And probably a prescription painkiller (such as Rimadyl) would work better than ibuprofen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a safe dosage of ibuprofen for dogs indicated in the Merck's manual? I was of the understanding that ibuprofen is extremely toxic to dogs, but that aspirin and acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be used in dogs with the proper medical supervision. I don't have access to a Merck's manual (I want one, though), so I'm not certain.

If you're concerned, contact a vet for more advice. And probably a prescription painkiller (such as Rimadyl) would work better than ibuprofen.
my dad made the appropriate calculations based on Merck's guide, although I have heard that a slight +/- in dosage could fatal, or harmful to dogs. My dog seems to be fine though (though he has a slight lameness), but I still want to take the necessary precautions, so a vet check would be in order.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Dogs don't metabolize Ibuprophen like people. Do not give to dogs. As someone stated, use aspirin, or ask your vet for an NSAID. Previcox, Rimadyl, Etodolac, or Derramax are much better to use. You might also see about Adequan IM, which can be VERY effective with NO side effects.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts