Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as I said in another thread, I've been grooming from my home for about 3 years now. I am young(18) and not certified, but planning on going to grooming school within the next year.
Do you think there's anything else I can do for experience before going to grooming school? Like, I have known of people that started working in a vet kennel when they were 14 and stuff like that, but for some reason, I'm having THE hardest time getting started. I was a member of the Nashville Kennel Club, but...a couple of the members that were apparently going to be my mentors kinda flunked out and I never hear from them.
Anyway, getting back on track. I just moved to Richmond, Indiana, and I was looking through the phone book, and there's this one groomer that caught my attention. She's had 45 years of experience, she does all breeds of dogs and cats, along with other animals. I was thinking about giving her a call and asking her if she needs any help with like bathing or cleaning up even...I just need to get my foot in the door somewhere, you know? So my questions are: SHOULD I contact her? WHAT should I say exactly? Or is there something else I should try instead of bugging groomers? lol.

Anyway, thanks for any advice =]

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes you should!! Think of it as a internship. Just tell her what you told us, that you are new to the area but started learning to groom back home and want to get certified, that a few previous mentors to be let you down when you just wanted to learn and get experience in the environment. If she is too busy or already has a few hands looking for the same thing, she may know someone else that can help you.

·
Registered
291 Posts
As far as I can tell from looking for internships/jobs myself, offering yourself up for the experience only is hard to turn away currently. Wouldn't bother me!

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
So, as I said in another thread, I've been grooming from my home for about 3 years now. I am young(18) and not certified, but planning on going to grooming school within the next year.
Do you think there's anything else I can do for experience before going to grooming school? Like, I have known of people that started working in a vet kennel when they were 14 and stuff like that, but for some reason, I'm having THE hardest time getting started. I was a member of the Nashville Kennel Club, but...a couple of the members that were apparently going to be my mentors kinda flunked out and I never hear from them.
Anyway, getting back on track. I just moved to Richmond, Indiana, and I was looking through the phone book, and there's this one groomer that caught my attention. She's had 45 years of experience, she does all breeds of dogs and cats, along with other animals. I was thinking about giving her a call and asking her if she needs any help with like bathing or cleaning up even...I just need to get my foot in the door somewhere, you know? So my questions are: SHOULD I contact her? WHAT should I say exactly? Or is there something else I should try instead of bugging groomers? lol.

Anyway, thanks for any advice =]
Contact her. Better yet, move to Ohio and work for me ;) (J/K)
Just tell her the truth. You've been working for 3 years, are planning to go to grooming school, and want all the experience you can get.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Yup, I am jumping on this bandwagon. Contact her! If she doesn't need an extra pair of hands, maybe she knows someone who would?

I have no idea/experience with grooming but is there a certification council? Maybe contact them and explain your situation? You could also try contacting the grooming school and tell them you arent ready to start classes yet but want to get more experience and see what they can offer?

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you're close enough to a Petco or a Petsmart, both train groomers. Start as a bather-brusher and move up. Might be worth considering if there's one somewhere around

1 - 10 of 10 Posts