Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
I agree with other here - if you are living with your parents, what do you expect your living situation to be for the 12-15 years of expected year lifespan of a dog that size? When I did rescue, I got quite a few calls from parents whose children had moved out and left them with a dog they didn't want.

Doing rescue I also had all too many calls about dogs whose owners abandoned them or gave them up because they couldn't afford vet bills. If you can only afford $500 for a puppy, what about vet bills? Even a healthy puppy is going to cost you hundreds of dollars in vet bills its first year for vaccinations, spay/neuter, fecal exams and worming, and in Louisiana definitely heartworm and flea and tick prevention.

If you're determined to go ahead anyway, I second the suggestion you start checking shelters for the kind of dog you want. You might also call Cocker Spaniel and Poodle rescue groups in your area. You might just get a lecture on how a purebred is superior to a mix, but they also might be able to steer you to a Cockapoo. Most purebred rescue groups can't take in mixes; they get all too many dogs of their breeds needing help, but some do take in mixes, especially if they closely resemble their breed, and all will get calls asking for help with mixes of their breed.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts