Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned a dog before of my own and last week picked up my (mini) lemon beagle! I'm do excited, but I know beagles can be very stubborn at first when it comes to training.

During the day the has a kennel and a play pen that she stays in with potty pads and she does really well about only going on the pads. She's also good at letting me know at night when she needs to go outside.

I have heard that beagles are diggers.....if anyone has tips on how to recent her from starting the bad habit I'd love to hear!!

I'm so excited about having her, but any tips would be so appreciated :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Congratulations! I've never heard of a mini beagle, do you mean the 13" beagle?

As to digging, don't let her outside unattended. If you watch her and redirect when she tries to dig, she won't dig. If you leave her unattended outside, well, anything could happen. The same goes for chewing shoes, eating tissues, stealing food, etc. Watch her, don't leave things in her reach and she can't get to them.

One thing I've always heard about beagles is that they cannot be entirely trusted offlead, that they'll get a scent in their nose and follow it without concern for where they are or where you are or cars, so I'd keep her enclosed or on a leash. Also, beagles like the sound of their own (loud) voices, so teach her a "quiet" command to control that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! And no, she'll only be 11 or 12 inches and about 15 pounds....I'd never heard of them either haha.

Thank you for the tips! Right now she just stops dead when she's on a leash, so I've got to get her to move before I worry about running off thankfully.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Thanks! And no, she'll only be 11 or 12 inches and about 15 pounds....I'd never heard of them either haha.

Thank you for the tips! Right now she just stops dead when she's on a leash, so I've got to get her to move before I worry about running off thankfully.
LOL! Worries for later, then.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
She isnt a mini. No such thing. there are 2 sizes 13 inchs and under and 15inchs. So she will fall under the 13 inch group. Mine is in the 15 inch group.

beagles are wonderful, fun loving, happy , easily food motivated dogs.

Start recall training now. every time she comes to you, give a treat. these are dogs who see with their nose. and are known to take off following a scent. I can have mine offleash, But I did extensive training with him since 5 weeks old (he is a rescue, so got him very young, he is now16 months old)

Mine doesnt have a digging problem. So I cant address that.

They are active and need a good amount of excersise. Mine gets atleast 3kms of offleash hiking a day, plus play time in the dog park. Plus tons of play time at home.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Is this what they call a "pocket beagle"? because that term is very common up here and I have met a few "pocket beagles".

Anyway, you should share some pics so we can see your new bundle of joy!

My advice to you is to begin all your training ASAP! Crate training, recalls, obedience, and don't forget.. plenty of exercise! Patience and consistence is key with puppy training :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts