Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I sold my house and bought another one and I need some advice. The old house had a doggy door that the dog can use whenever he needs to. He hasn't had an accident in the house for months now. He's 10 months old.

The new house is a different layout and a doggy door isn't an option. It will take some time to train him to let us know he wants out even though we will take him out on a set schedule a first. Every 3 hours like we're training a new puppy.

I would like to get something for inside that he can use at night if he needs it. There are a lot of products out there from pee pads to fake grass to real grass to ones that need to be emptied after use, lots of choices.

Any recommendations on a good product? There are so many it's hard to make a choice.

Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
At 10 months old, he should be able to hold it through the night. If you're worried, set an alarm for halfway through the night and let him out, but most pups that age shouldn't need it. Having an indoor potty area might only confuse him.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Crate him, use an exercise pen or just keep him in your bedroom with you at night so you will hear him stirring if he needs to pee. If you are a deep sleeper or like late lazy weekend sleeps, set an alarm half through the night or try 8 hours after last potty break right before bed.

Like humans, dogs bodies slow down dueing sleep so they do not need to urinate as often as during the day while awake and moving around. 10 months old should be fine for a typical night of say, 9 hours (like, 10 pm to 7 am) and many dogs will happily sleep another hour+ if they are comfy and not awakened.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crate him, use an exercise pen or just keep him in your bedroom with you at night so you will hear him stirring if he needs to pee. If you are a deep sleeper or like late lazy weekend sleeps, set an alarm half through the night or try 8 hours after last potty break right before bed.

Like humans, dogs bodies slow down during sleep so they do not need to urinate as often as during the day while awake and moving around. 10 months old should be fine for a typical night of say, 9 hours (like, 10 pm to 7 am) and many dogs will happily sleep another hour+ if they are comfy and not awakened.
Thank you for your reply. Trouble is from day one when he was 8 weeks old crating was out of the question. Bought one, followed the advice regarding crating at night but the puppy would go ballistic. Way beyond barking or whining. He chewed the door of the crate so vigorously trying to get out the he actually injured the inside of his mouth.

Took him to the vet and he had broke a few teeth and his gums were bleeding. Vet said never crate him again. He figured something bad had happened when he was crated with other puppies at the place I got him.

Maybe now when he's older he'll be calmer so I'm going to try it. If it doesn't work I figure I'll build him a small pen in the laundry room like I did when the Vet said lose the crate.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Get bells on a cord and put them at the level a doggy door would be, ring the bells every time you let him or take him out. Won't be long he will learn to ring the bells to get that door opened for him.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get bells on a cord and put them at the level a doggy door would be, ring the bells every time you let him or take him out. Won't be long he will learn to ring the bells to get that door opened for him.
Brilliant. I going to try that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts