Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've had Marlin, my 6 year old male ACD, for about a week and a half now, and thus far everything with him is going great. There however is some weird behaviors we've noticed with him when it comes to travel and the car.

Before we adopted him, his old owner did warn us he whines a lot when in the car. I guess I was expecting just that: just a bunch of whining. But since we've gotten him here, I've noticed some really weird behavior. He'll run up to our car and get all excited and act as if he wants to go for a car ride really bad. He'll even go so far as to jump inside and sit there when the car door is open. But once you start moving he whines, and whines and BARKS AND BARKS, and crys, and paces, and whines some more and BARKS EVEN MORE aaaaalllllllllll the waaaaaaay to our destination until you let him out. Ha. It's a GOOD thing I have a sense of humor! My first thought would be anxiety issues with cars. But if that's the case, then why does he initially act like he loves the car and always wants to go inside of it?

Anyone have any reccomendations as to what's going on with him and any possible solutions? Of course I'm willing to work with him, but we have a 16 hour car trip coming up next week, as we're moving to Kentucky from New England, and.....yeah lol.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
First, welcome to Kentucky :)

Second, my first thought was that he associates the car with going to someplace fun so he runs up to it but then once its moving, it stresses him out.
Do you seat belt him in or crate him? If he is seat belted, he might feel more secure (less getting tossed around and losing balance) and if not, at least he can't pace around so much.
Does he drool a lot in the car? Might be car sickness in that case.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Abe was like this for a long time. I am pretty sure it was excitement and over stimulations.

One of 2 things fixed it although he still does it once in a while.

Taking lots of short trips to no where. Round and round the block and then back home.
Plenty of throwing him cookies and praise when there was even a few seconds of quiet.
Having the window open near him. Either on the opposite side to where he is belted in or infront of his crate.

It was either those things that worked on he got tired of it after we drugged him a few times for the drive down to Reno :D

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems to be more an impatience thing as he will calm down for a little while, but as soon as the car starts to slow down, like in a 35 - 40 MPH zone, he starts flipping out. We do have a wire crate that his old owner gave us that we haven't used yet. I think I'm going to give that a shot and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
It sounds like a simple lack of manners. Unless he's frothing at the mouth and whale-eying, it could be that he was never taught proper car manners. Just a thought. I would start practicing, with a friend driving, and you sit and treat when he's being good. Just around the block to rule out manners.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's a scary intelligent dog. I taught him 2 tricks tonight in less then 1 minute, so I know there's a solution to this. The problem is just figuring out what his deal is. I DON'T think it's an anxiety issue, because he really doesn't seem afraid of the car, and I don't think it's lack of manners because his manners are great everywhere else. It just seems like he's overly excited to the extreme.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also it's not a cattle drive response to moving vehicles, because he does this with and without traffic anywhere in sight.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is what I was referring to.
"I'm so EXCITED I can't contain myself AAAHHHHHHH".

Give the crate a try and practice calm behavior getting into the car, then laying in the car, then starting it, pull out of the driveway, pull back in, etc.
lol I get what you mean. Yeah, I think the crate is going to be where we start on this problem.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
It seems to be more an impatience thing as he will calm down for a little while, but as soon as the car starts to slow down, like in a 35 - 40 MPH zone, he starts flipping out. We do have a wire crate that his old owner gave us that we haven't used yet. I think I'm going to give that a shot and see what happens.

Welcome to ACD ownership..... Crate him.....

Just wait until he figures out the directions to the places he likes to go....

He will be really wired.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
If you have not got this sorted out before you move to Kentucky, I would be inclined to get something from the Vet to keep him calm and save your sanity.

·
Registered
559 Posts
That sounds like a cattle dog.

This is the hazing part of ACD ownership.
:becky::becky:

I think taking on lots of really short trips (like up and down the driveway even) might be in order. Have someone else drive and just sit back there and feed him yummy treats and praise him when he's calm.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have not got this sorted out before you move to Kentucky, I would be inclined to get something from the Vet to keep him calm and save your sanity.
I actually talked to my vet earlier today about this over the phone and was told that I could give him Children's liquid Benadryl to knock him out a little. I'm going to see how well he handles in a crate and if he's still a spaz by the time we leave for our trip, I'm going to do that.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I would cover the crate so he can't see out. You can also make a "treat delivery" system out of a piece of PVC pipe. One end in the crate. one end next to you. Drop a goodie when he's being quiet.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I would cover the crate so he can't see out. You can also make a "treat delivery" system out of a piece of PVC pipe. One end in the crate. one end next to you. Drop a goodie when he's being quiet.
This is brilliant. Now I just have to figure out how to set this up on my bike and child trailer.(I don't have a car)

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
I don't know how many different ACD's I have had in my vehicles over the years. Most do this to some extent..... I have never messed with trying to do something about it. In fact I have thought more about it in the last 24 hours, that ever before.

I just crate them. Most that right often, usually get better about it.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know how many different ACD's I have had in my vehicles over the years. Most do this to some extent..... I have never messed with trying to do something about it. In fact I have thought more about it in the last 24 hours, that ever before.

I just crate them. Most that right often, usually get better about it.
Yeah, apparently it's pretty typical of the breed from what i'm hearing. If it's something that he's always going to do to some extent no matter what and we just have to deal with it, then so be it, but I'd atleast like to have him relatively calm on the long drive so my sanity stays intact lol Crating is going to be my first plan of action, we just haven't taken him back into the car yet.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update on this issue: So we took Marlin up to my parents house today in our car, and tried crating him. We have a wire crate, so we placed a blanket over the top of it to limit his vision. This only seemed to piss him off, as he was actually WORSE! Last time we had been in the car, we piled a bunch of stuff up to act as a barrier, and that had seemed to help things a little, so we decided to put up some chicken wire to act as a separator. The trip back was much MUCH MUCH better. As a matter of fact, he didn't make a noise until we pulled onto our road.

So, I think we're going to keep doing this and see what happens. What works today might not work tomorrow, but so far it's gotten the best results.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts