Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I adopted a 6 year old pitbull. Very sweet boy. He has not had any accidents in my place yet. Today was my first day at work , and I did stop by to take him out.

However I can not do this everyday, I live 25 minutes away and only have an hour for lunch. I also do not have the extra money for doggie day care, and do not trust random people in my apartment to take him for walks.

As far as I know, he is a lazy dog. He sleeps a lot. He is a 6 year old pitbulll. He has spent most of his life alone locked in a basement or locked in a bathroom so I know he is used to being home alone.

Any suggestions for leaving him alone during the work day? Monday to Friday I leave at 7:20 am and return home around 5:30pm. My Fiance works the same schedule, sometimes he is home earlier than I am.

Also, I do not want to hear any negative comments about how that's abuse blah blah blah. ALOT of us work, and cannot just sit home and play with my dog all day.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
I'd clean the bedroom really well, put away anything dangerous is chewed on and any valuable, go for a morning walk, leave the dog shut in the bedroom and cross my fingers.

If you didnt see any destruction or signs of anxiety today, its pretty likely the dog will be fine. Some dogs are destructive into adult hood but most 6 year olds are pretty content to snooze the day away.

See what happens over a few days and adjust exercise as needed etc

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Most adult dogs can hold it a full work day, especially if they sleep all day. If the dog doesn't get into anything while you're away, you're fine to leave him. If he gets into stuff, you may want to consider a crate or confining him to a dog-proofed room. I would take him for a short stroll in the morning (like, 15-20 minutes) to encourage him to sleep the whole day and get his bladder good and empty. I typically leave my dog with a stuffed Kong to chew on when I leave. Then, when you get home, dedicate an hour to take him for a walk/train/play, whatever.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
10 hours is a long time but it's doable for many adult dogs. If your fiance is home earlier I would prioritize letting your dog out as soon as possible. But if your dog is pretty laid back and lazy in general, it could work out. My adult dog could hold it for 10+ (12+, really) hours during the day any time he needed to. But I imagine it is uncomfortable for the dog and I try to keep it around 8 hours.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He was very good yesterday, I came home after work and nothing was destroyed or messed with. I let him have free roam on my apartment. The only thing is my bed is off limits, which he can't get into it since I moved it closer to my wall.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always make sure to walk him 2 times in the morning. He is s super lazy dog so he will only walk for 15 minutes at a time and then want to go home. I deff make sure to take him out as soon one of us gets home.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Not sure what advice you want? The dog doesn't have accidents and doesn't destroy things. So it sounds like you are all set. Ther only thing I can think is if you want to leave him a chew or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts