Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had a dog before but was wondering if everyone has advice specifically for male dogs (mine is a small mixed breed). I have already encountered the "lipstick" especially when I get home from work and he humps his bed but that hasn't spread to anything else yet. Also when should I see about getting him neutered? He's a week shy of 8 months right now.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
if it helps to understand that female dogs can be hump-er's too.. :) more of a excitable behavior then anything else. I don't alter my little ones to have guidance ..

·
Registered
627 Posts
He is certainly old enough for neutering, when I had males they were usually done prior to 6 months. My males didn't have the humping issues. I've had two females, both sprayed that did.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
The humping is behavioral as much as anything. Whenever he does it, just redirect him to something else,

As far as when to neuter, the answer ranges from now until never. Neutering does not magically cure behavioral issues. If you think there is the risk that you won't be able to prevent him from breeding whatever random bitch he comes across, then neutering him now would be a good option.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Teach him to Sit on cue. He is allowed to get excited [if you are OK with it] and to have a red rocket, but he is Not allowed to hump. So when he gets that amorous look just before he humps, the ask him to Sit [After you have taught him to Sit and practiced everywhere for about two weeks, successfully.].

Talk to your Vet about neutering. Six months is a good initial time, but some Vets even wait until 2yo for some dogs. And, what LeoRose wrote is correct - neutering may not change humping or other behaviors. It will only prevent more puppies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts