Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to adopt a dog and wanted to get advice on how long an adult dog could go without me being home. A little about me:
[*]gone for 8-9 hours including commute for work. I'm a teacher so I have some flexibility about when I get to school and where I do prep. I also have lots of random time off including summers and multiple weeks during the school year.
[*]I live in an apartment with a roommate who loves dogs but has none and supports me getting one
[*]my room has a private shaded patio which any dog I adopted would have unrestricted access to all day.
[*]the living room area + my bedroom + the patio + the kitchen is actually a lot of space for a small dog by apartment standards
[*]I would get a small low to medium energy adult dog (no puppy) and invest in training her

·
Registered
17,906 Posts
Almost all adult dogs will be fine with someone who works full-time. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I got into a spot where I had to work 12 hours with limited days off and my adult dogs adjusted just fine... days off I used as fun and training days and the rest of the time was about keeping to a schedule for feeding, and walking before and after I got home from work some sleep time for me and out to walk them then eat before I had to go back to work... it went smoothly until my hours went back to normal...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yep, 8-9 hours is fine for most adult dogs.
Assuming you're going to adopt a dog, if so, I'd shoot for about 2 to 3 years old and check to see if they've been house trained. One of my biggest suggestions is to see if the adoption agency will let you foster the dog for a few weeks before you make the decision to make it official. I adopted Billy, a 2.5 yr old pointer/hound mix, and never having owned a dog and his anxiety level the first few months were very stressful. I wouldn't change things for the world but it's good to understand their habits and behaviour to ensure it fits your life. And yes Billy can go about 10 hours at least without having to pee. He's about 3 now and I can't imagine life without him!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts