Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,776 Posts
I think it's going to depend a lot on the lines you go with. To my understanding, there are working lines, which are going to be your more energetic GSDs, and there are show lines, which will probably be a bit more low-key. But yes, generally speaking GSDs are higher on the energy spectrum. We do have a few GSD owners on the forum who probably have more knowledge on the particulars, so perhaps they'll chime in. Another option is an adult GSD from a rescue or breeder rehome where their temperament and energy level are known.

GSDs are a double coated breed and shed a ton, but unless they get gunk or debris in their coats you can get away with brushing once a week.

GSDs are well known for being landsharks when they are puppies. They were originally bred as a herding dog, so they can have a higher prey drive or want to chase which may make some unsuitable for living with a cat, but there are plenty of GSDs who live with cats perfectly fine. You may want a find a breeder whose dogs currently reside with a cat or have at least been socialized with cats even before they come to you.

As for if GSDs will pick up on your anxiety, I think that's extremely dependent on the individual dog, regardless of breed. If you have a dog that that is already nervy and anxious to begin with, that might not be a great combination, but if you choose a dog from confident lines, your anxiety probably won't have a significant effect. There's a lot of differing opinions on the matter and lots of anecdotal evidence, but how greatly our own personal anxieties affect our dogs hasn't been subject to very much scientific research. There was one back in 2021 that I recall, but if I remember correctly it was only done with Shelties and Border Collies, which, you know, can be pretty high up there on the anxiety column to begin with 😂

1 - 1 of 1 Posts