Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on a situation. Kind of a long story.

We have had our new puppy who is now close to 10 months old for over a month. Her original owner had gotten her from friends to "cheer her up". Soon after she realized she couldn't keep the dog due to her mother not allowing her in the house. She let one of her friends watch her until she found a permanent solution. They didn't take good care of her at all, tied her up outside when they were home and put her in a crate at night, almost no human interaction. She then gave her to my friend who tried having her in the house but she didn't get along with one of her other animals, and she was forced to give her up. When given to my friend, they had to cut the collar off of her because she had outgrown it to a point that it was nearly choking her. This is where my fiance and I come in.

We were told that she was looking for a permanent home for the puppy since she could no longer keep her. I asked if she was going to want the dog back and my friend assured me that she wouldn't, she COULDN'T have her. Well, tonight I got a phone call and, guess what? She wants the puppy back. Apparently her mother passed away a couple weeks ago and just informed my friend that she can now have the puppy in the house and wants our puppy back because of the "sentiment" in her friends giving the puppy to her. My fiance and I have grown VERY attached to our puppy, and not only the time and love put into her, but money as well, though money isn't the real issue here.

I just don't know what to do. I love our puppy, as does my fiance, but I do feel for the previous owner. I'm also worried that if something else comes up in her life that doesn't allow her to keep the dog, that she'll dump her off again. I'm sure puppy is so confused, she was EXTREMELY confused when we first brought her home (probably her 5th home in 2 months). We have an older dog that usually doesn't get along with other dogs but gets along with the new puppy beautifully and don't want to confuse her either.

I guess I just want outside opinions on this since I've never had to deal with this kind of thing before. The idea of giving her up just tears me up inside.

Any thoughts would help.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I wouldn't give her up. if all the first owner cares about is the sentimental value of the dog then it doesn't sound like a great place to be. If the owner can prove to you that she will train the dog and socialize it properly, then maybe.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Keep her. She is your dog now. It's best for the puppy to stay with you rather than being tossed around from home to home again. Tell your friend your sorry, but you just can't part with her. Remind her that she said she wouldn't be wanting her back.. a good friend would understand.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I agree with the other two, the dog belongs to YOU now. That said, we had another thread like this come up recently and there are some good practical measures you should take to make sure that the law agrees. If you have not already done so get her microchipped in your name. If she is microchipped just make sure she is registered with your name and not the previous owners. Make sure you keep records of vet appointments, training classes, etc.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You can think of it as "the dog belongs to me" if you want to.

But the reality is "You belong to this dog" now.

The reality is that this puppy has been bounced around too much, in too short a time, and he's had too many bad experiences.

If she really wants a dog she should visit the shelter and adopt. Sentimental feelings of "but my friend gave me this dog" don't count when a dog has been through so much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would keep her. It is not fair to the dog.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I agree with the other posters. She's your dog, and you're her people. :)

I'm also worried that if something else comes up in her life that doesn't allow her to keep the dog, that she'll dump her off again.
I would be worried about this as well. And the fact that she wants the dog because of the sentiment does not inspire confidence.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My vote is to keep the puppy. It sounds like your home is the first place the puppy has ever fit in nicely, and the puppy hasn't had much of a chance to relax and enjoy life. And now that I read the previous post, the wanting it for the sentiment doesn't sound good to me either. Get vet records in your name and microchip the dog.

Sorry, but her friends were stupid for buying her a dog in the first place. You don't hand over a living creature (with a 10-15 year emotional and financial commitment) to someone to "cheer her up."

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I'm glad you've already made the decision to keep her. You did good!

That poor pup probably wouldn't be able to handle being dumped again.

I would remind your "friend" that she said she wouldn't want the dog back, and quite frankly I'd remind her that "friends" don't do that to friends. That's rude, not to mention heart-breaking to the dog and the family that was attached to the dog.

Offer her an alternative, maybe you'll go around on the weekend with her to all the animal shelters in your area and look for a brand-new puppy that doesn't already have a family and baggage.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Like the others have said. Keep the dog. Seems to me that she or her friends can't take care of it with having to cut the collar off.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
If someone gives you a dog, that person just can't change their mind at some point down the road and decide they want the dog back...it just doesn't work that way and it boggles my mind that there are people who think that it does.
It would be like whoever dumped my Lab off suddenly arriving at my house and saying they wanted him back...the thought is freakin' laughable. If it were me, I would have laughed right in your friend's face. Sorry, I'm generally try to be nice and stated things more delicately on this forum...but the whole thought of this just ticks me off to no end. :mad:

No, don't give the dog back. The dog was given to you. "Sentiment" doesn't matter...who cares? The dog isn't an object. She is a living, breathing being. Maybe remind your friend of the "sentiment" you feel toward a dog that was basically abused (collar having to be cut off) and that you've cared for the dog for over a month and you've grown attached to her because you believed and was told the that they dog was YOURS. It's cruel to "try" to take that dog away from you...what kind of friend does that make her??? The dog was given to you, you asked if they would ever want the dog back, they said no, the dog became yours at that moment. I'd have the dog microchipped, vet records, county registration, EVERYTHING in your name and, if it were me, I'd take it to court if they pushed the issue...

I swear to DoG...freakin' people...!!!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Keep the puppy and buy your friend a nice easy-care plant. Or better yet a pet rock. Rocks, as far as I know, don't suffer when bounced around from home to home.

Sorry to be glib, but a dog that had to have a collar cut off it has had enough worry in its life.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I agree with everyone, too. Just expalain to her that there are hundreds of thousands of dogs in shelters, and to look for one out there, and put emphasis on the fact that you and your fiance have fallen head-over-heels for the pup, and you wouldn't ever be the same if she left you. Find some pups on Petfinder to show her.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13201382

show her Louey. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd like to add a bit more than the emotional aspect, with which I wholeheartedly agree. Everyone here thinks of their dogs as living beings, not objects. Some even think of them as children. Unfortunately for dogs, the law sees them as property. That's fortunate for the OP, though. As they say, possession is 9/10ths of the law, and from the moment the puppy was given to you, it became your property. It's good that the law sees it this way, because if they were seen as children are, which seem to be the only other living beings that can be passed around besides pets, the law would be on the side of the original "owner" (barring any detrimental living conditions, of course). It seems like the bad treatment was from someone else in the long line of households before yours.

Everyone else made great suggestions, especially about microchipping. Hopefully a vehement "no" will get the flaky friend off your back, but if it escalates to doggy abduction, it's good to have the records to flash at the authorities.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Original Owner is the one who recieved the dog as a gift, the friend we got the dog from isn't the girl that wants it back. We don't know the original owner.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I would keep the dog myself. I'd get the dog microchipped (if it isn't already) and registered in your name as well. Also, I'd talk to your fiance. It sounds like he doesn't have a close relationship with this lady like you do. See if you can get him to be the bad guy here and not you. That way your relationship with your friend isn't damaged so much if at all. If your fiance isn't close friends with this lady and isn't willing to be the bad guy, ditch him and keep the dog anyway. Ok, maybe that's going a little too far.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts