Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My babies had a litter of puppies (only two) and one sold quickly, the other I've been reluctant to sell because I adore him and have only had one person contact me about him. She has contacted me multiple times about buying him and I have asked her to call me but she only responds via email. She says she will be contacting me this weekend to pick up the puppy, but I'm not comfortable selling him to anyone really. I love the puppy so much that even with a contract I don't think I could bear him going period.

Is it wrong to tell this lady the puppy is no longer available? I have this sinking feeling in my gut and I think I should just go with it, but I need to know that I'm not just being selfish.

Keep in mind, I have kept a puppy from each of their three litters (this would be my fifth dog and family member), this is their final litter since now all of my dogs have been spayed/neutered and all of my dogs are best buddies with eachother as well as me and my husband.

I cannot think of a legitimate excuse as to why I don't want to sell him to her (never calling seems odd though :suspicious:), I don't want to hurt her feelings and I don't want to be considered an animal hoarder, but selling him just doesn't feel right in my gut for many reasons.

Any feedback would be helpful!!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I always go with my gut feelings! ... hardly ever been wrong. I will not lie to people ... I would just say you have decided to keep the pup yourself. Tell the truth ... lies are always found out in the end. :)

What kind of dogs do you breed?

Hello and welcome also! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point!! I think my mind has already been made up, I just feel like a jerk and want to know if I'm completely out of line here. We have Japanese Chins/Spaniels, no more breeding, I get way too attached and worry constantly about them.

They are such goofy, sweet little dogs. I was never interested in small dogs, then my husband got me a chin puppy (surprise!) and now I'm hooked.

Thanks so much for your advice! :)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Try to get her on the phone before she comes there. Sometimes you just cant read people enough on email and I think that based on her not wanting to talk to you and do a "official interview" is enough to not feel comfortable to say yes, come here for the puppy. I've talked to some people online that seem okay and then in person they aren't what they portray on paper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts