Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bred a litter of Border Collies last year. We had 7 in total. We kept 1, my parents kept 1 and the others were placed in homes. All of the puppies were placed on Spay/Neuter Contract, Limited Registration & a contract.

I request everyone to keep me updated be it Verbal, Text, Photos or play dates..

I'm currently doggy sitting 1 of the puppies I really wanted to keep.. It seems that each time she shows up I find something I'm not happy with it..

She use to visit every week until i started to "complain" about stuff. For instance, her nails are never cut, her collar too tight, her trying to herd cars, food & toy aggression. She's actually gotten a hold of her mother and made her yip.

She's here for the weekend, she showed up with really long nails & a nasty flea collar on(ugh).. She also has nasty diarrhea that's she's had for the past month. I've spoken with her owner about it since it popped up. I've suggested Chicken & Rice, Pumpkin. They said it worked, but i don't think it did. I will be demanding that they take her to the vet..

I tried to get them to sign her back over to me a month or so after taking her when she started to show signs of aggression and interest in cars. They almost did until they asked their 5 year old.

Any suggestions on what i should do. I've talked to my mentor and she calims theirs not much i can do because the dog isn't being abused or mistreated.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I think your mentor is correct. Perhaps you can offer some play days and do some grooming/nail trimming and training. Thing is, if everytime they bring her to visit, you are full of negatives and judgement, you'll train them to just stay away, which isn't in the dog's best interest. You can have a standing offer to take her back, but she is their dog.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
What sis your contract say? Does it give you right to go to court to reclaim the puppy? There are some knowledgeable ppl on this forum, I hope they will be along soon. Please keep us updated on what happens.

If the dog is not being cared for chronic diarrhea is a health issue that should be addressed by a vet, if its not, you might have a case.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
I'm currently doggy sitting 1 of the puppies I really wanted to keep.. It seems that each time she shows up I find something I'm not happy with it..
If this was one of the puppies that you had NOT wanted to keep, would you be finding the same faults?

You have two real choices- if your contract allows it, you could try to force your hand and take back the dog. You could end up in civil court if the owners believed they had a right to keep the dog (as in, they had not violated the contract).
Or you make suggestions and offer help when it is warranted. If something is a personal preference (like the flea collar), then I cannot see how you have the right to change what the owner is doing. If they are working with her on food and toy aggression, same thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think your mentor is correct. Perhaps you can offer some play days and do some grooming/nail trimming and training. Thing is, if everytime they bring her to visit, you are full of negatives and judgement, you'll train them to just stay away, which isn't in the dog's best interest. You can have a standing offer to take her back, but she is their dog.
I was thinking about that :), I'm probably going to bring it up to them and see. I know some people are scared to cut their dogs nails. Luckily I've been doing it my whole life :)

I'm probably coming off strong when I tell them what needs to be fixed. I'm going to have to come up with to tell them.. Luckily these people come to me whenever they need something, so I know they trust my judgement. So hopefully they will start bringing her around for play dates :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It states that they need to have adequate exercise and shelter. It needs to be seen by a licensed vet when needed. Also needs to have a heartworm check regularly. Said dog should never be allowed to run free or be tied to a chain. Owner is not allowed to get rid of the dog it must come back to me.

Looks like i need to change my contract..

The owner claims that she switched her and their other dog back to Iams. Which made them sick. She then threw out the rest of the food and got the previous food they were on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If this was one of the puppies that you had NOT wanted to keep, would you be finding the same faults?

You have two real choices- if your contract allows it, you could try to force your hand and take back the dog. You could end up in civil court if the owners believed they had a right to keep the dog (as in, they had not violated the contract).
Or you make suggestions and offer help when it is warranted. If something is a personal preference (like the flea collar), then I cannot see how you have the right to change what the owner is doing. If they are working with her on food and toy aggression, same thing.

I kept her brother, I'm very happy with that.. Personally i wanted to keep all of the puppies, but that's impossible.. I do believe i'd be finding the same faults. I stay very active in these puppies lives, so when i think i stumble upon these things much quicker. I'm sure if i only saw them once a year it would be the same.. I'm very fortunate to be able to see them very often.. I guess whenever she does come, i don't find things i like..

I doggy sat her sister back in March, this dog was very skittish about people and they dropped off a crate too small. I made it clear that they needed a bigger crate. And needed to be socialized some.. They listened to my suggestions and did everything they should have.

I've never heard anything good about Flea Collars, if you google it you find so many cases where the dog has gotten sick or died.. I don't want to see a dog go through that. These collars also aren't safe around humans.

They could be working with her on her food/toy aggression, but i doubt it.. Its been going on since she was about 3 months old. The owner claims their other dog bully's her. So i'm sure thats where she picked it up from. This was the reason they were bring her to me in the 1st place..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts