Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having kind of a situation and looking for some advice....

I bought a puppy about a year ago, the dog came with a lifetime health and temperament guarantee (she was a working dog and supposed to be trained in Schutzhund)... the dog ended up developing wry jaw at 4 months old and was no longer able to train/work in that sport.

We contacted the breeder and they wanted a letter from a vet, which we provided and they accepted. We asked the breeder if they wanted the puppy back, they did not. So we re homed the puppy to a family with the breeders written consent. the dog was under 6 months old so she was not spayed, but the buyers were made aware of her condition and we screened the homes appropriately (without the breeders help) to make sure it was a family home, we actually had a lot of trouble re homing this dog just due to the twisted jaw which was clearly visible while looking at the dog.

So the breeder has a litter recently and emails us to ask if we wanted a pup from this breeding, we agree and then all of a sudden they tell us that we are not getting a puppy back because we didn't take the dog to the vet within the first 48 hours of owning her.......kind of combing the contract for whatever they could find I guess... this stipulation is in the contract but we also imported this dog from another country and paid for the vet certificate for the dog to fly....so the dog saw a vet days before she was shipped and we paid for that visit. They also claim that in the contract stipulates 2 letters from different vets are needed to confirm the defect... but they accepted the first letter without mentioning the second letter.

I also recently found out that the mother of this dog had the same genetic jaw condition, the breeder says that they didn't notice it until after they bred her a few times...

Wondering what I should do? press for a puppy with legal action or chalk it up to lesson learned?

What good are breeder guarantees if they are not going to stick to them... or comb the contract for whatever they can find...

I feel taken advantage of but is this pretty common? was it my mistake to trust this person?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'd take it as a lesson learned and walk away.

A. This isn't good behavior, though I've never dealt with a breeder, and B. They bred a dog with a genetic jaw condition "a few times" and are now difficult about fixing their "mistake". Do you really want another puppy from them? Who knows what problem the next dog will have.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I wouldn't want another dog from them. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and find another breeder who you can really trust.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Sorry you are going through this. Though a contract is a contract, and not following it could void it. Did it state you would be refunded in money or replacement dog?

The bitch should not have been breed. I would not take another dog from them. Hopefully your pup was spayed.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
You could press it just to see how far you get. But might have to leave it. Bad breeders suck.

Sometimes good breeders produce problems but if you can see this issue how did they breed her a few times without knowing?

A contract is a contract BUT as a breeder it should be reasonably written. Not only that but if its something like this I don't see why 2nd vet letter is needed. If I were the breeder even with that in the contract I'd give another dog because I want them to be able to do sport.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
It sounds like they're being twits about the whole thing honestly. But do you really want another dog from them? I would suggest going to a breeder with a proven record on the dogs they breed (if they did work the mom of your first pup I'm sure they'd know there was a jaw problem quickly) and one who stands behind their dogs totally. I would also prefer a working home and make sure a pup went there even if I didn't agree, but live and learn I guess. Most of the breeders I know are like that and have even placed a second pup in a working home simply because it's a good working home out there doing things with the first dog!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the excuse was that as she matured (this dog is now 3) the jaw went wry, the mother works fine, but the dog that I had had a severe case and could not work no matter how hard she wanted too....

I just don't get why they led me along all this time? I always thought I was getting a puppy back until I actually picked out a litter that I was interested in, and they were fine with it, then about a month before the litter is ready to go all of a sudden they don't owe me one.... honestly I think they ended up selling the entire litter early and would rather have the money then give me a puppy back.... I actually was not going to work this next puppy, I was going to give it to a friend of mine, since they are nice dogs but I have already started working another dog...... so those were my plans, its really no big deal if I don't get a puppy back but I am out a lot of money/time over nothing.

So what should I do from here? cut my losses and move on? should I do anything about this breeder? or is this pretty common?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Well speaking from the breeder's side of the situation, if you aren't getting the pup yourself, it's very different. I wouldn't be comfortable with placing a dog with someone who wasn't going to keep the dog for life and instead planned to hand it off to someone else. If you told them that that might be part of the problem, but it would be worse if you didn't tell them that. They may assume you're getting money for reselling the replacement pup.

I would just move on but be honest with the breeder in question about the situation and let them know you're not happy. Don't go out of your way to bash them but don't outright lie either, if that makes sense. If someone asks about where to get a dog tell them why you wouldn't go there but don't make a big scene about it either. If you are working dogs and doing a good job the good breeders will find you.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't tell them those were my plans, but the other home is a working home and would have more time to work this pup then I would. I just can't set aside time and money to train a dog that may have issues, plus the dog I have now is really nice and I found it by fluke lol... so no harm no foul I guess. Actually both of my dogs were found by fluke and they are by far the better of the working quality dogs then I have sought out from working breeders so maybe that is saying something for itself....

Advice noted and thank you.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
See as a breeder (if all goes well anyway) I would be LIVID if someone pulled that on me. I would never place a dog to be gifted or resold etc. so it's likely in your favor that you didn't get the pup and do that - that sort of thing can get spread to other breeders and people get blacklisted quickly. Many breeders will send a 'fyi email when they run across someone looking for a pup that may be questionable. At least here anyway!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well this dog was a USA import, so not local, not sure if they would have cared... they didn't want the first pup back and asked me to re home her on my own (even asked me not to mention the kennel when re homing her).... which actually was really shocking to me but I guess they just didn't want to ship her back.... too stressful for her? IDK lol, a lot of it makes no sense but I am not a mind reader so who knows... my feelings about what happened might be totally different then theirs.

Next time I will make sure I do more research though that's for sure...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
My pup is from the states and the breeder told me she'd be pretty annoyed if she had to drive up here to get her. LOL She's not worried and Kilt isn't going anywhere, but ETHICAL breeders will go to great lengths to get the dog back, sometimes using other breeders that are closer to the dog to do the legwork and get the dog on the plane...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
They should have refunded the price. If they were concerned about the pup they should have taken it back. Either way, sounds as if the working breeders you have chosen weren't very reputable. It is hard to buy from anyone you can't personally check out yourself.
Any working prospect puppy is a chance. Though health shouldn't be a question.

·
Registered
184 Posts
No one can really make a statement as to how "common" this is, it depends on the individual.

I am a bit...confused though. You said this puppy could not physically work but then it sounds like you placed her in a working home?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
^^ no, she placed this pup in a pet home, she planned to place the replacement pup in a working home.

the whole think sounds sketchy to me, I agree, doesnt sound like good breeders you have found at all, refusing the puppy back, AND telling you not to mention the kennel the dog came from? thats awful, it tell me that they offer no support for the dogs of there breeding..all is good unless the dog has a problem ,then all of a sudden they want all ties to them cut? nope, that is never OK in my books.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
See as a breeder (if all goes well anyway) I would be LIVID if someone pulled that on me. I would never place a dog to be gifted or resold etc. so it's likely in your favor that you didn't get the pup and do that - that sort of thing can get spread to other breeders and people get blacklisted quickly. Many breeders will send a 'fyi email when they run across someone looking for a pup that may be questionable. At least here anyway!
If you are buying a dog for a specific reason, and it isn't capable of that job, better for the dog to go to a home where it can do something. If a breeder sells a dog and it ends up with a severe fault, breeder should hold to the contract and replace the pup. Situations change. But the OP is still out a lot of money and trouble.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Well speaking from the breeder's side of the situation, if you aren't getting the pup yourself, it's very different. I wouldn't be comfortable with placing a dog with someone who wasn't going to keep the dog for life and instead planned to hand it off to someone else. If you told them that that might be part of the problem, but it would be worse if you didn't tell them that. They may assume you're getting money for reselling the replacement pup.

I would just move on but be honest with the breeder in question about the situation and let them know you're not happy. Don't go out of your way to bash them but don't outright lie either, if that makes sense. If someone asks about where to get a dog tell them why you wouldn't go there but don't make a big scene about it either. If you are working dogs and doing a good job the good breeders will find you.
The breeder approved of the rehoming, the dog couldn't do the job it was bought for so why would they expect her to keep it?

Sorry, but I'd go to a different breeder, you don't want to end up with another dog that may have a similar condition that wouldn't be able to work.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The breeder approved of the rehoming, the dog couldn't do the job it was bought for so why would they expect her to keep it?

Sorry, but I'd go to a different breeder, you don't want to end up with another dog that may have a similar condition that wouldn't be able to work.
It sounded to me like OP doesn't want the replacement dog either. What I gathered was that the first dog couldn't work, was rehomed as a pet with the breeder's permission, then the OP moved on with an other dog while waiting for the replacement and decided to take the replacement to give to friends. I think that's what Bordermom was commenting on.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am having kind of a situation and looking for some advice....

I bought a puppy about a year ago, the dog came with a lifetime health and temperament guarantee (she was a working dog and supposed to be trained in Schutzhund)... the dog ended up developing wry jaw at 4 months old and was no longer able to train/work in that sport.

We contacted the breeder and they wanted a letter from a vet, which we provided and they accepted. We asked the breeder if they wanted the puppy back, they did not. So we re homed the puppy to a family with the breeders written consent. the dog was under 6 months old so she was not spayed, but the buyers were made aware of her condition and we screened the homes appropriately (without the breeders help) to make sure it was a family home, we actually had a lot of trouble re homing this dog just due to the twisted jaw which was clearly visible while looking at the dog.

So the breeder has a litter recently and emails us to ask if we wanted a pup from this breeding, we agree and then all of a sudden they tell us that we are not getting a puppy back because we didn't take the dog to the vet within the first 48 hours of owning her.......kind of combing the contract for whatever they could find I guess... this stipulation is in the contract but we also imported this dog from another country and paid for the vet certificate for the dog to fly....so the dog saw a vet days before she was shipped and we paid for that visit. They also claim that in the contract stipulates 2 letters from different vets are needed to confirm the defect... but they accepted the first letter without mentioning the second letter.

I also recently found out that the mother of this dog had the same genetic jaw condition, the breeder says that they didn't notice it until after they bred her a few times...

Wondering what I should do? press for a puppy with legal action or chalk it up to lesson learned?

What good are breeder guarantees if they are not going to stick to them... or comb the contract for whatever they can find...

I feel taken advantage of but is this pretty common? was it my mistake to trust this person?

I don't understand why someone would give a puppy to a new home because it couldn't work...what about just being a pet, agility, obedience, etc? I would have a hard time giving up a puppy that I had for at least a couple months for any reason. I also don't understand when the OP says the puppy was suppose to be trained in Schutzhund, did she mean the parents were trained, because I don't see a puppy already being trained in this sport...it takes lots of work??? As for the breeder, well I'm guessing the contract protects them for any reason.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts