Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 16mth dog has just been diagnozed with severe HD/DJD he is on pain releif to keep him comfortable, he can only have 10min exercise and the condition is very progressive we are devasted for him.
Are we being cruel keeping him like this ? can he still have a good life do you think.
There is no surgery that can be done to help him.
He still seems happy in his self
We have to go back to the vets next week and i will ask more questions just wondered if anyone else has a dog in a similar situation or what you would do if it was your dog.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I think this is a decision that only you can make. Of course, it's never an easy decision for anyone. Sometimes it helps to ask yourself this question: do the good times outweigh the bad? Can he still do the things that he loves to do most? Talk to your vet and ask him if your dog is suffering. At the end of the day only you can decide the course of action to take. Just remember that sometimes it is the kinder thing to do.

What kind of dog is he? He seems very young to have such severe hip dysplasia.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou rosemaryninja for your reply 'yogi' is in the piture section as i joined the forum a while ago he is a inuit dog which is GSDxHuskyx Malamute
I am having such a problem with this because he is such a young dog, i know i got to do whats right for him and i won,t let him suffer he is comfortable on his meds at moment .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts