Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 7 month old German Short-Haired Pointer who has 2 episodes of UTI- blood, bacteria and struvite crystals found in his urine when it was tested. He was treated with antibiotics the first time, however was not on them long enough, given a second dose on a different antibiotic and was cleared when his urine was re-tested. He was eating Medi-Cal Developmental dog food but I switched him to Acana Large Breed Puppy food.
He seemed fine but started peeing more on our walks and his urine had that strong odor. I took a urine sample in and she said that there was blood, struvite crystals, bacteria and I think she said bladder lining? Another round of anitibiotics was given. I took his urine in today and she said there was no blood but there was struvite crystals and some bacteria. She had originally told me that the bacteria could have been from the container and to watch him and take a sample in again in a month. I started questioning the cause of the crystals and she went on to suggest that I 1) have him x-rayed to check for stones, or 2) try a different antibiotic and switch his food to the Medi-Cal Prevent OR the Royal Canin(the one that will dissolve stones.) I asked her what she recommended I do and she said she would change his food immediately(!), take him off of the Acana due to the high protein level and try him on another antibiotic.
I’m not sure if I should put him on the vet food and I’m not sure I should put him on more antibiotics as they give him diarrhea, despite the addition of yogurt and probiotics. I’m confused by this whole thing. If the crystals are caused by bacteria from a UTI, how does the food prevent the crystals? Does the food cause the UTI? FYI- He was neutered 2 weeks ago Tuesday.

I’m really confused as to what to do so any help would be appreciated! :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,615 Posts
It works like this..
If the urine is not acidic enough crystals form. The crystals bump around in the bladder and bump around while exiting the urethra..this causes tiny tears in the walls and irritation, when this happens bacteria has an opportunity to "set in" and this is where the infection starts. If the crystals are not dealt with (by changing the urine's ph) they can develop into stones that do even more damage to the bladder as they are bigger and cause more discomfort to the dog.

So you need a diet or supplement that is specifically formulated to acidify/balance the ph in the urine and an antibiotic for the infection.

I personally would do some diet research to see what supplements or dietary tricks you can try to acidify his urine that does not involve going on a prescription diet. Yes, they work but nutritionally they are not always the best. EIther way, he needs SOMETHING to do it or the UTI's will become chronic and the poor boy will be suffering.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,227 Posts
I thought it was the other way around. Bacteria set up shop, possibly due to concentrated urine that isn't voided often enough, and the urine goes alkaline so crystals can precipitate out in the urine and further irritate the bladder.

Water. Force water and give more opportunies to urinate. Cranberries can keep bacteria from sticking to the bladder walls so they flush out. Either a cranberry, dog cranberry or go to the actual active ingredient, D-mannose supplement could help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,615 Posts
Hmm..maybe it's a case of both? Chicken and egg scenario...but I've been known to be wrong.
LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
I have a female that is prone to UTI and had surgery to remove stones. The stones came back about 4 months later after surgery, she was put on prescription food which did dissolve the crystals, took about 6 months, but it did work. I also have been giving her a powder supplement called Berry Balance which is cranberry and blueberry, she gets distilled water since she is on the road with hubby and not sure about all the different places and the water. I have also switched her to Wellness Core. I hate to jinx it.......but so far so good. It's been almost a year without any UTI's. Also if your dog isn't big drinker can food works better, or start putting water into his kibble. The more water they drink the better.

I would do whatever it takes to get rid of the stones and then try other things. You can get the powder here. http://www.solidgoldnorthwest.com/products/pro_sup/pro_berry.html

Some pet stores carry it.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,599 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. He is on antibiotics again. I guess the food is a trial and error thing. I am going to try him on Fromm "Salmon A La Veg" as recommended by a friend who has been in a similar situation. I will see if that helps with the crystals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,571 Posts
hi
I have a doxie prone to uti and crystals i have been giving her cranberry caps every day and it has made a big diffront
jamie:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,240 Posts
This is how I understand it as my dog had struvite crystals. She had a UTI which usually accompanies struvite crystals. Any dog can have struvite crystals and be okay. But when bacteria enters the mix, the crystals stick together and can become stones. They also irritate the bladder lining which is probably the reason for the blood. The crystals shouldn't be too much of a problem if the UTI is gone. I would encourage your dog to drink more water....perhaps putting low sodium chicken or beef broth (or make your own broth without salt) in his food and water. Sounds like your dog didn't respond well to the antibiotics. I think you have to give him those until the UTI goes away for good. Good for you for giving probiotics!

This is what I did (not saying it would work for everyone) - I did try the Hill's c/d canned but was disgusted by the mounds of poop that came out of my dog. I continued feeding her her raw food, added water or broth to the food and bought Wysong's Biotic ph- (not the biotic ph+). It's a supplement you add to the food to make the urine more acidic. It contains natural ingredients. I didn't want to feed her the Royal Canin Urinary SO because one, it has salt which is supposed to encourage drinking, and two, it has no meat in it. Anyway, the Biotic ph- worked. She hasn't had crystals or a UTI since. I still add water to her food though. Wysong does make a food for struvite crystals but you have to call their 1-800 to order it. I was going to do that before I discovered the Biotic ph-.

If the urine is too acidic, then there is risk of calcium oxylate crystals which are more complicated to treat. Food will help but usually surgery is necessary.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top