Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my dog, Leia, is horrible outside on a regular leash; she's always pulling and choking herself. we bought her a halti collar, the body one not the face one, and she has been fine outside, not pulling and actually being cooperative. today i took her out without it for the first time in a month to see if she's made any progress and i think she is even worse! how can i fix this? i've tried stopping everytime she pulls and giving her a treat but that wasn't helping at all. any advice is welcome

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
IMO, She doesn't connect that the same good behavior is expected of her on both the harness and on the regular collar.
First, if you are happy with her behavior on a harness then why not continue to use it? It is comfortable enough and harnesses are easy on the dog's neck and throat.

If you want to switch though to using a flat collar, one technique is to use two leashes- one on the flat collar and one on the harness. One leash in each hand. When she starts to pull on the flat collar, give a quick tug on that leash. If she continues to pull, loosen that leash and tighten on the leash connected to the halti harness. As soon as she listens, release on that one and begin walking again. A similar technique worked for me to transition a dog from a prong collar to a martingale flat collar.

I wouldn't stop and give a treat everytime she pulls since that is rewarding the pulling. I would stop and just stand there all boring like and then step forward only when there is slack in the leash.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Something that worked for Kodi was giving him a treat every single time he looked at me. After a short time he was walking beside me in a nice heel and looking at me waiting for his treat. I used the word "good" along with the treat. Then I began cutting back on the treats. I still use the word "good" constantly, and sometimes a treat. When I took him to a behaviorist about 5-6 months ago, she told me she rarely saw a dog so well focused on the owner and that it was an excellent sign that he could/would progress from his reactivity - and he certainly has - although still a work in progress.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
i've tried stopping everytime she pulls and giving her a treat but that wasn't helping at all. any advice is welcome
As Shell said it's likely to her you are rewarding the pulling this way. In my experience using the stop and wait method for pulling no treats are required, being able to continue walking IS the reward.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Something that worked for Kodi was giving him a treat every single time he looked at me. After a short time he was walking beside me in a nice heel and looking at me waiting for his treat. I used the word "good" along with the treat. Then I began cutting back on the treats. I still use the word "good" constantly, and sometimes a treat. When I took him to a behaviorist about 5-6 months ago, she told me she rarely saw a dog so well focused on the owner and that it was an excellent sign that he could/would progress from his reactivity - and he certainly has - although still a work in progress.
This. We worked for months on this, with very little progress. We tried the gentle leader, harnesses, even briefly a prong collar. Eventually we got him a backpack and put water bottles in there for some extra weight. With all of these we were also using the "be a tree" method when he pulled. But really helped was going back to basics. Treating him every time he looked at us. Every single time, for a while. After awhile he learned to be very focused on the person holding the leash, which is exactly what we wanted. It's still a work in progress, but now we can walk him on only his flat collar and he's a lot better than he used to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts