Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 5 year old JRT that marks on walks every 5-10 feet and spends 10-20 seconds just finding the right spot to pee. She will pee at least 10 times on a two block walk and spends much of the walk sniffing. I don't mind sniffing or peeing but it is so out of control.. I used to be able to take her for longer walks but I just got so fed up with spending so much time on the walk waiting for her to find a spot to pee and not walking fast enough to get a good work out. She is a high energy dog but on walks unless she shes a animal or person will walk slow because she is to caught up in marking. I try to say good girl when she is walking and not marking but by the end off the walk im so fed up with it i stop saying it when she does walk good. She will also sit down if i try and push her to go on with the walk when she wants to sniff/pee. Even if i say lets go in a stern voice and pull the leash she will not go and i end up having to pull harder and i feel so bad about it. I know that this is my fult and that i need to be more understanding. Does anyone have any advice this dog needs much longer walks and if i could get her to control herself i would be happy to go for a long walk with her. Thank you very much for any help.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Avoid walking near places that encourage potty breaks such as poles or grass patches, if need be walk off the sidewalk (if it is safe). That way you can continue your walk uninterupted. However, if she is pulling to get to a spot where she can pee, then your issue isn't so much marking but rather that your dog is taking you out for a walk not the other way around.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts