Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who follow the random venting thread know that I was in an accident yesterday and I am sure the insurance company is going to total my truck. I am looking to get an SUV this time, a small one or a cross over, any suggestions?

Make and model doesnt matter as long as it is dependable, I drive the poop out of my vehicles and I need something that will stand up.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I've heard that the Nissan Xterra is the toughest small SUV (built on a Ford Ranger frame) but the mileage is terrible. So if you need toughness but don't worry so much about mileage, that might be a good one. For my next car I've decided on a Subaru Forester. My aunt has an Outback which is really nice but I think the Forester is better for me.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
OOoh, AWD or not?
I'm like the person to talk to right now about AWD cross overs. They're all about the same for good gas mileage and what not I can get down to the nitty gritty if you want more information too.

Nissan Juke is small sporty, has a large hatchback area and seats fold down to accommodate animals. Everyone can be seated comfortably. My brother has this car and loves it, though I've always thought it was more of a girl's car.

Ford Escapes are AWD can have all the toys, are larger than a Juke, sporty as well. As in it has some pep and guts when you need it, but isn't excessive. This is the largest of the options.

If you're ritzy, there's Buick Encores. Smaller, like the Juke. Compact has turbo in every model, I'm pretty sure, but isn't fast. The turbo gives it some guts, but it's not a car I'd recommend if you do a lot of highway passing on two way traffic. Very luxury, the seats feel like leather hugs. You can get a lot of the toys depending on how much money you want to spend.

Toyota Matrix - if you're looking for the less expensive option, AWD, doesn't have much guts (similar to the Buick department). Very decently sized, older models (maybe even newer, I haven't looked at any newer than a 2010) you'll be able to find cloth seats, which I prefer with animals. Hatchback and fold down seats like everything else, but can carry A LOT of stuff for it's small size. Very hardy. I drive one right now, con is that it's not as peppy as I want, also you get none of the luxury toys you'll get in the others. No back up camera, no navigation, no heated seats, little to no Bluetooth connections, might not get command start (I've had to get mine installed).
I've had two of these in my life. A 2004 and a 2009 (current car). It's done amazing in Canadian winters, I really like it. The only reason I'm upgrading soon is because I want a lot of the luxury toys that the Matrix doesn't offer. It's average level of pep is also something I'm looking to get away from as well.

Edit to add: Given I live in a very seasonal area with a fairly/very harsh winter. I wouldn't get anything other than an AWD. I also am a big fan of cross overs with a seemingly small exterior with more than enough interior to have dogs, camping supplies, or moving boxes. For example I went camping this year for a week and we only took my car. It had enough room for the tent, sleeping bags, air mattress, coolers, gear(etc.), wood, dog, roommate, and me.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I have a Jeep Compass. And I love it. ITs got lots of room, backseat and cargo area. All the seats fold down Including the passenger seat. Great on gas. Mine is a 4x2? I think. It's front wheel drive, but I can put it into 4.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I don't have recommendations on what to get but I drive a Ford Escape as a company vehicle and it is small inside. I am 6' about 240lbs and it is tight - I carry stuff in my car and it really has no room with the seats up and it fills up fast with the seats down.

Now that I'm thinking about it - Subaru's get good right ups and honestly Hyundai Santa Fe is quite nice and roomy or the Tuscon might be OK (never been in one). We own 3 Hyundais with my wife having a 2007 Entourage (mini van) and have been extremely happy with them. My wife's Entourage is nicely appointed, lots of room and is built nice and solid. Hyundai doesn't make it anymore but it is available as a Kia Sedona; Kia also makes sister cars of the Santa Fe and Tuscon as well. I don't know how off roading is with a Hyundai if that's what you do but they are pretty nice these days.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I lot of people I know are fans of the Honda CR-V. Not too big, decent on gas, and highly dependable.
The HR-V is new this year and apparently has much better cargo storage than the CR-V. They took the fold flat features from the Fit and put it into a bigger vehicle. I saw one at the grocery store yesterday and it's definitely a good sized car (bigger than my Accord). I really want to get one!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have a Nissan Xterra because I live in snow country and need "real" 4 wheel drive. Basically it's an enclosed truck. I really like it. When I take out the back seat there's lots of room for Toby. I get 20mph during the summer. Of course that goes down in the winter when I'm in and out of 4WD. My previous car was a Honda Pilot, which had LOTS of room and was great for carrying both dogs. They've changed them radically now and they aren't as big.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
We have a Honda Pilot which is probably bigger than you are looking for. We needed more people hauling space, with the kids and hubby traveling with his derby team it is nice having an option of third row seats but the fold completely flat when we aren't using them so we can haul derby gear, hiking stuff, camping stuff, all of the dogs, whatever. We almost bought a Jeep instead but there was not a ton of leg room in the back of the jeep, plenty of room for the dogs though. The pilot gets good gas mileage (we bought used and it still gets good gas mileage, not like my little car did but way better than any of our vans or trucks have).

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
My fiance is a car saleswoman, so I hear about this stuff pretty much every day. And as dog owners we've discussed getting a larger vehicle in the future. Here's some that are in the running. As someone who stuffs 3 100lb dogs in a Honda Civic at the moment I can definitely see the appeal of more dog friendly vehicles. All of these met my specs (which were basically that it has to be reliable and enough to fit the dogs and not a ford, no offense to any ford owners here). I learned to drive in a Suburban so my opinion of 'small' may be skewed.

GMC Acadia
Chevy Tahoe - real bruiser, reliable as heck
Honda CR-V or HR-V
Subaru Forester (my favorite, personally)
Buick Enclave - luxury
Buick Encore - luxury
BMW X5 - not as expensive as you would think! My fiane has been driving around a 2012 that's way cheaper than I would have thought.

Really it depends on what you want to spend.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I bought a Mazda CX-5 this year and I love it! I had a 10 year old Mazda3 before that and stuck with Mazda because the quality and durability seemed to be there in my car. Plus it gets good mileage. My runner-up SUV was the Nissan Juke, but it was just too small for the dogs.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I've got a Chevy Equinox that's worked out well for me. Very similar to the Subaru Forrester a lot of other people are mentioning.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I bought a Mazda CX-5 this year and I love it! I had a 10 year old Mazda3 before that and stuck with Mazda because the quality and durability seemed to be there in my car. Plus it gets good mileage. My runner-up SUV was the Nissan Juke, but it was just too small for the dogs.
I only have one medium dog, but we can fit both our Lab (obese) and my girl in my brother's Juke without issue, but it IS the smallest option I recommended.

Mazda is a really good choice as well. My boss keeps trying to make me put one on my list too. No dealerships in my area (besides three hours away) to test drive or for warranty purposes was a downfall to me. We also always purchase write offs (my dad buys, fixes, and sells cars for a living) and the Mazda CX-5 doesn't come around often. But good recommendation.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I only have one medium dog, but we can fit both our Lab (obese) and my girl in my brother's Juke without issue, but it IS the smallest option I recommended.
Our dogs would fit, but it would be tight. I test drove one and when the back seats are down the cargo area seemed to be higher than it should be. I felt our dogs wouldn't be able to stand up comfortably. Maybe it depends which year you buy.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
If my dogs were smaller I would have gotten a Subaru Forester because I really loved my Subaru.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
My three Labradors are quite happy in a hatchback with the seats folded down . . . don't know if that works for your situation. I love my Prius and 47 mpg is a big bonus.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't have recommendations on what to get but I drive a Ford Escape as a company vehicle and it is small inside. I am 6' about 240lbs and it is tight - I carry stuff in my car and it really has no room with the seats up and it fills up fast with the seats down.

Now that I'm thinking about it - Subaru's get good right ups and honestly Hyundai Santa Fe is quite nice and roomy or the Tuscon might be OK (never been in one). We own 3 Hyundais with my wife having a 2007 Entourage (mini van) and have been extremely happy with them. My wife's Entourage is nicely appointed, lots of room and is built nice and solid. Hyundai doesn't make it anymore but it is available as a Kia Sedona; Kia also makes sister cars of the Santa Fe and Tuscon as well. I don't know how off roading is with a Hyundai if that's what you do but they are pretty nice these days.
Yeah, I have heard nice things about Hyundai vehicles, the Tucson in particular.

I have heard good things about Mazda and Nissan as well.

I've got a Chevy Equinox that's worked out well for me. Very similar to the Subaru Forrester a lot of other people are mentioning.
My folks have an equinox and they love it! it has almost 200K miles on it, and those are miles they put on it (it had like ... 20K when they got it), every GM made vehicle I have personally had I have just driven the crap out of and the only thing I ever had go out on any of them was the tranny on one, and the fuel pump on another (both separate vehicles). The only bad thing about GM made vehicles is they tend to have little things go wrong with them, like, they nickle and dime you to death LOL.

If my dogs were smaller I would have gotten a Subaru Forester because I really loved my Subaru.
I hhave heard a LOT of good things from my dog friends about Subaru. I just love the outback, though I am concerned that it might not have enough room for things like crates and other stuff.

Thank you all for the suggestions and sorry I didnt reply right away, my notifications for this thread didnt show up in my control panel for some reason LOL

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Owned, did you look at the Honda HR-V that I mentioned? If you're looking for reliability, Honda is hard to beat.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Owned, did you look at the Honda HR-V that I mentioned? If you're looking for reliability, Honda is hard to beat.
Absolutely, I will! I am on the laptop now so I will google it and check it out! I wont officially going out to dealers and looking until I hear back from the insurance company on whether or not they are going to total out my truck (though I have a sinking feeling they are going to). Then we will go from there.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I loved my Equinox, just sold it to my parents this spring to upgrade to the mini van. The equinox worked well for 1 and 2 dogs before I started trialing and traveling a lot with them. Then I wanted to be able to crate 2 dogs and it didn't have the space for that. For awhile though I did have a 36" crate in the cargo area and 2 dogs seat belted on the bench, with stuff packed around them. The only thing I wish I could have changed about it would be to have the seats fold flat. Other than that loved it, just outgrew it. My parents bought it from us and they love it now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts