Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in New Zealand and it has come to my attention that there is a female 2 or 3 year old newfie that the owner wants to sell, as she has 3 of them and they are too much. I have not seen the dog yet. She is asking 1000.00 for it and puppies are 3k here. The dog has not been in the house and is not house trained. Nor do I know if it gets along with cats, as I have two white cats, one is deaf, and NONE are allowed outside. What are the chances of housetraining this dog and also introducing it to cats?

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
For house training,, your chance's are High on the yes.. Dogs go where they are most familiar so you have a dog that finds it normal that going outside on the dirt and grass as their normal place they will look for that situation to potty. Would need to establish a time schedule for opportunity and that is what they will need to learn is the schedule timing for the change of being an outside dog to an inside dog. I don't now about the breed and cats

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Just like for the house training, there will be transition time needed for the cats- as well as -- dog to learn a routine and learn to tolerate each other, it just takes time just make sure your cats have alot of escape routes (up on counters, under the couch) etc... to take space away from the curious dog.... It should work out.. but will need... work ... and time....

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
When I have had dogs that were outside dogs before I got them, I found them really easy to housetrain. I never used crates and they were a little older so had no problem holding it until they could go outside where they were used to going. I think you will find you may have to keep a close eye on them at first, but it should be easier than housetraining a puppy.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The house training should be simple, train a sign the means that they need to go out or want you to let them out(like ring bells or sit next to the door). Praise heavily for going outside and silently clean when accidents happen inside. Since the dog is use to only going outside you shouldn't have many accidents, Newfies are easy to house train anyway, but if you do have a few accidents you might just have to treat the dog like a new puppy for a few weeks.

As for the cats, although Newfies are known to be good with other animals, this dog is a bit older and will need adjusting time. The cats will also need adjusting time because suddenly there's a big dog in the house.
Can you separate the cats and dog by a solid door at first, let them sniff each other from under the door for a few days and when they seem to not care about each other so much, you can open the door but put up baby gates so that the cats can get away from the dog and to safety.
Supervise closely to make sure they won't harass each other and separate them if they do. Treating the dog and cats when they are calm around each other is a good idea too. It helps them to think that cats=good things happening.

Good luck Newfies can be difficult at times but they love to please.

edit to add: put the cats litter and food where the dog can't get to it (on the other side of a babygate) you'll be happy you did.

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
I would recommend crates for house training.
Roman is born to and outside dam... working LGD.
Housebreaking him is a breeze... because he naturally wants to go outside.

Make sure you are consistent... oh and train your new fie to ring a bell to let you know when he needs to go.
Every time you take him out, ring the bell. It goes potty, praise and treat.

I think Newfies are great dogs.. I personally love them too.
They should be gentle with cats unless the ex owner somehow let some bad experiences happen to the newfie like let them chase cats etc.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
House training, as the others have said, shouldn't be too bad. Just make sure you watch super closely, that way, you will see when the dog is about to have an accident, and you can prevent that accident by rushing her out. You may want to use a leash to tether her to you, so that you don't lose sight of her. Accidents can really happin seconds, so it's important to prevent them.

The cats, well, I think Flaming gave perfect advice for that!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts