Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My name is Jenn and this is my first post. While growing up I owned a long haired White GSD. Her name was Klondike and she looked exactly like the pictures on my profile. She was 25 inches, and 95 lbs. I remember being in 2nd grade and going to the SPCA with my mother and seeing Klondike and immediately fell in love. My mom was wary of the huge puppy (she was nine months old) and wanted to keep looking but I had made up my mind. The deal was sealed when I walked out to the car and she came out on her kennel run and watched us leave.

When we adopted her we found out she was two days away from being put to sleep because she had been "returned" twice. The first couple to have her bought her for their disabled son and brought her to the SPCA because she was too "rambunctious". The second time she was returned after a weekend spent with an elderly couple because again, she was too energetic. Why would people return a puppy because they have too much energy? It baffles me to this day. She ended up being my best friend and protected me every day for over 14 years. I cried for weeks when she eventually passed. She was a wonderful dog who was almost killed because she was too "high energy" for people who expected a dog to come fully trained at 9 months old.

Now I have my own child, a 3 year old little girl, and my own house. I want to get a dog for our family and have the same type if experience as when I grew up. My husband wants a English Mastiff. I am not sure what I want. I know I want a large breed (100 lbs +). Also I want a dog that has energy to go and run at the park for two hours but comes home and lays on the sofa. A guard dog would be nice, I don't want a dog who thinks everyone is their best friend. I live in a larger size townhouse in the city. I only have a small yard but am blocks away from Fairmont Park where the dog could go off leash and run for miles.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
how do you feel about grooming and slobber? I know a few dogs that alert bark when strangers come over but are generally very people friendly.

Guard dogs are a huge liability and need specialized training that makes them not the best choice to have as pets, especially around children.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Why not another GSD? I wouldn't normally recommend one for someone with such a young child but...

There are quite a few in shelters and rescues for the same reason Klondike was.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Barking is good, that's what I'm looking for so I guess "guard" was a bad choice of wording. Slobber I am kind of indifferent. It wouldn't keep me from getting my perfect dog, but if there was a choice I'd rather not. If that makes sense?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Have you looked into Shiloh Shepherds at all? They've definitely got size on their side (a female would be 90-100lbs and a male as much as 130). They've got the shepherd temperament of thinking that their families walk on water, while not needing to constantly be on the move.

They're generally better with small children, alert bark, and are generally indifferent to strangers. They mighy be less energy than you are looking for, however. A good 45minute walk once a day will do them good, but can definitely go for much longer hikes on the weekends. They just want to be around you, no matter what you are doing.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I would think an English Mastiff would be a pretty good choice if you can deal with the higher bills, slobber and pure size of them. They're 'intimidating' enough but not known to be human aggressive (in my experience) and are supposedly good with kids.

I would agree with the right German Shepherd as well. So many these days seem to have iffy temperaments but if you went to the right breeder or got the right adult from rescue, I think they'd be a perfect fit. My uncles GSD looovess kids and is just a great all around dog. She has some dog reactivity issues but apparently that's not uncommon in the breed?

What about a Saint Bernard or Bernese Mountain Dog? Again, you'll probably be dealing with drool, but I've heard they are both great family dogs.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My Ludo is instant BFFs with everyone he meets. That said, if you come within 50ft of his domain, everyone in the region knows about it. Mostly because he is saying he wants to play. But at 90+lbs, it doesn't sound like that to strangers :)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Newfoundland dogs are usually good, just don't get a young puppy unless you want to be tested because they love to play but will grow quickly and don't realize their size or strength until 1-2 years old.

pros
-adults loves kids
-loud bark
-100+lbs (my puppy is currently 130lbs)
-can look very intimidating (most common colour is black)
-awesome off switch
-can be good with anywhere from 1 hour of exercise or a weekend long hike. very flexible

cons
-drool
-puppies are not good with kids
-heavy shedders and lots of fur
-shorter lives (8-12 years for good breeders, 15+ years for very healthy individuals)
- most common issues are joint problems

and a con for most large dogs...everything is more expensive. meds,food,toys, other.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
how do you feel about grooming and slobber? I know a few dogs that alert bark when strangers come over but are generally very people friendly.

Guard dogs are a huge liability and need specialized training that makes them not the best choice to have as pets, especially around children.
Saw a beautiful Newfie in the park today and though of you Flaming.

That is, just before he shook and splattered me in slobber. :p

OP, have you considered a Leonberger? Or a Swiss Bernese Mountain Dog? Greater Swiss?

EDIT: Bernese tend to drool *way* less than the others.

NINJA DOUBLE EDIT: We're in the same city! I took the liberty of searching Petfinder... lets just say if I was in any position to adopt a dog I'd be nabbing this one. Link to Petfinder Profile.

Here is the link for extra large dogs in the area.

·
Banned
268 Posts

OP, have you considered a Leonberger? Or a Swiss Bernese Mountain Dog? Greater Swiss?

NINJA DOUBLE EDIT: We're in the same city! I took the liberty of searching Petfinder... lets just say if I was in any position to adopt a dog I'd be nabbing this one. Link to Petfinder Profile.

OMG if I was in any position to adopt a dog we'd be fighting for this beauty! :p

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

OMG I WANT! Manna needs a sibling

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

Hmm, the pet finder link doesn't work.

Such A beautiful dog,I really want him/her. If only my family was up to getting a dog.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'm a little biased towards the Newfie, myself. I agree with Flaming's pros and cons, but will also add that I've been told that you really shouldn't be taking Newf pups (or other huge breed dogs) on long runs under one year old. There' a possibility that it can mess with their proper bone and joint development. We're also really careful with Annabel on stairs for a similar reason.

I will say that Annabel is one of the best dogs I've ever known. Smart, eager to please, very focused on her people... She's still VERY much a puppy and even at 7 months and 65 pounds, she still thinks she's the size of a Yorkie. She has NO idea about her strength. She does really like kids and treats them like other puppies (play barking, play bowing, running away a few paces for them to chase her etc), but I don't think I would trust her too much around a small kid just yet because of her energy and her strength.

There is a lot of drool and a lot of shedding (don't trust breeders who say they breed for a 'dry mouth'). I brush her every day. But Newfs can be some of the sweetest, most loving, and amazing dogs out there. Just know that especially if you're going the rescue route, a lot of the large and giant breed dogs can be prone to a lot of (expensive) health issue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Newfoundland dogs are usually good, just don't get a young puppy unless you want to be tested because they love to play but will grow quickly and don't realize their size or strength until 1-2 years old.

pros
-adults loves kids
-loud bark
-100+lbs (my puppy is currently 130lbs)
-can look very intimidating (most common colour is black)
-awesome off switch
-can be good with anywhere from 1 hour of exercise or a weekend long hike. very flexible

cons
-drool
-puppies are not good with kids
-heavy shedders and lots of fur
-shorter lives (8-12 years for good breeders, 15+ years for very healthy individuals)
- most common issues are joint problems

and a con for most large dogs...everything is more expensive. meds,food,toys, other.
+1 to everything said in this post. If you have young children and are looking for a large breed, I'd also recommend a newfie. They are great with kids, loving, and need minimal exercise. Something I'd add to the above post is if you get one of these understand that they are not great in hot weather climates and they are water dogs so obviously as much exposure to water is greatly beneficial. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
458 Posts
First, I love Newfies but, realistically speaking,
do you see the average Newfoundland as having the,
"energy to go and run at the park for two hours" ...

or even for 20 minutes, in hot weather?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
First, I love Newfies but, realistically speaking,
do you see the average Newfoundland as having the,
"energy to go and run at the park for two hours" ...

or even for 20 minutes, in hot weather?
Honestly, I don't see a lot of the giant breeds doing that in hot weather. I don't thing Saints are any better equipped, for example. An adult in the colder, wintery months probably. Our pup is just starting to get a lot of energy and being very frisky now that the weather is cooling off. In the heat she was more content to flop in front of the AC vent.

Newfies are great family dogs, but they probably won't hit the two hour run requirement and they aren't exactly good guard dogs. Ours would rather wiggle around and get pets than bark at strangers.

But again, like I mentioned, I'm totally biased and after having Annabel even for a few months, I know I'll never have any other dogs but Newfs :D

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Bernese and Swissies are both generally pretty low-drool....BUT they are both a bit jowly, so there needs to be a large towel around the water bowl, and you still expect to step in drips 4-5 feet away. They don't drool much, but they will save a bit of water for a few minutes :)

Being biased, I also second the suggestion of a bernese or swissy (swissies shed less....or at least have shorter hair, so when they do shed, the tumbleweeds are smaller!). Newfies are awesome too though. One thing with really big dogs though, around kids, even the gentlest one can knock a kid over by accident sometimes. Something else to keep in mind.

To the OP, I see that you said you don't necessarily want a true 'guard' dog....which is good. Barking at strangers coming by is something that you think is ok. You might want to also consider a dark colored, or black dog. I've noticed many people tend to find dark-colored dogs more intimidating (dunno why), plus they tend to get adopted less in shelters. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Why not a white shepherd?

Large (though not 100+ lbs, but you can't expect a massive dog to run for long), very willing to please and very likely to be wonderful off leash and able to run for miles. If sufficiently exercised (which it sounds like you'll be able to do) the dog will be quiet at home. Attentive and alert and will guard if necessary. Their family is the center around which their world evolves. Other people are either okay, or don't matter.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Leonberger anyone?

They probably won't need 2 hours of exercise but I hear they make great walking/hiking companions! And they are fantastical with children.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts