Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...this will be the first summer with my Siberian Husky.

I'm from New Jersey and it's just starting to get warm & already he's panting --- what do you do with your Husky when it hits 80/90 degrees???

Any tips???:)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I don't have a husky or thick-coated dog but my dog does NOT like the heat..

So my best suggestions would be:

- limit trips outside during the daytime as much as possible, the worst hours are between 12 and 4
- icecubesicecubes! my dog loves chewing on them, give it a shot. If not, other frozen things might work well too (bananas, frozen kongs, etc)
- walks during the evening/early morning
- swimming.. if your dog likes it, of course (mine hates it)

Hope I helped.. I can barely walk my dog up the block after it hits 75.. so you're not the only one out there!

If you want to keep him active during the summer months, you may want to try signing up for indoor classes as long as the building is air conditioned. :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
well i have 2 huskies and an akita, who would rather the weather not get warm. and here in iowa, we can have some hot and dry summer days.
but some ideas i have for you are:
- a baby pool, always a fun time
-i freeze a angel food cake tin with either water or stock ( you can also freeze in treats and toys if you get a bigger container), the dogs love this!
-there is a company that actually made something like this, a popsicle type thing, i dont remember the site...but its the same concept as above
- anything frozen really, you can make the above into ice cubes and throw into the baby pool!
- definately limit mid-day activities, my dogs are more active early morning and later at night, other wise they just lay around the house.
- i know of some huskies that like to have a fan to lay in front of.
-they make a bed that helps keep dogs cool, you could look into that and they also make those stay cool bandanas.

also, just make sure you check the temp of the pavement of where you will be walking, dogs pads are sensitive, so you need to be careful. and also provide pleanty of water!!

hope that helped a little!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have 3 huskies in ohio and they love the kiddie pool to wade in when they are hot. Not sure about yours but mine are inside/outside dogs. They go out during hot days but don`t stay long. they would rather stay in the ac and about 8 or so when the shade hits they go out and play and run.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Kiddie pool works wonders for our dog. She also likes cold watermelon & ice cubes. Mostly she just wants to lay around on a cool tile floor. We might let her go down to the basement this summer (didn't have a basement in the much cooler climate we lived in last year) and spend time down there where it's cooler.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ditto on the kiddie pool. I also limit walks and play to very early in the morning BEFORE the sun comes up and evening walks after the sun has set. During the heat of the day we only go outside for a few minutes for their potty breaks and then it's back inside where it's air conditioned. We've already had plenty of 90 degree days here, this is my husky's first summer in Florida (we used to live in WA where it was much cooler!) but our new summer exercise schedule is working out well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts